Jstan84

Jstan84's PA 65 rimless

75 posts in this topic

Thanks Will.  I have been quite pleased with the galaxy note 4, the camera is definitely better than the galaxy s4

So as some of you know my tank is now fallow!  Unfortunately i had to completely dismantle the upper 2/3 of the aquascape to catch everyone so the tank had to be rescaped.

Here is what the new scape looks like.  I don't like it as much as the previous scape, but I think I have better surface area for adding more corals now.

16256281223_64a8070bb0_c.jpg2015-03-20 16.22.31 by jeffstanley1, on Flickr

There has been 1 unintentional side effect of going fallow.  There were a few corals that weren't opening up they way they should and I thought that maybe my parameters were maybe a bit off, but the day after removing all fish, call corals are open as wide as ever.  Looks like I will be looking for a new home for the flame angel!

I am fallow on my 300 and my corals look better than ever and are growing. Makes me not want to put any fish in it.

I'd bet it was the angel. My old 90 gallon had an emperor angel and my sps never had PE. I started noticing him nipping at coral. Got rid of the angel and next day had Extreme PE from all SPS

I know it is the flame angel.  I re-homed a chalice I got at fragniappe to Jerry because I saw the bastard nipping at it, and I have seen it nip once or twice on the orange plate but I thought it was just getting a small piece of food that fell on it.  Guess not, the plate opened for the first time being in my tank after the fish were moved to QT and the frogspawn started opening fully again.  I just need to give up on dwarf angels, I never have luck with them anymore.  Hopefully the swallowtail stays a model citizen cause the wife is attached to "Lucy".

Looks good Jeff. The chalice made a full recovery it seems. Since your flame angel is gone I wouldn't be upset if you wanted your chalice back.

It has been 2 years and a day since I updated this thread.  After I lost all of my fish except the clowns while QTing (which by the way I will never use formalin again!), I was so disgusted I became largely disinterested in the tank.  It has had maybe 2 or 3 water changes in that 2 years, I have gone months without emptying the skimmer cup or changing filter socks, and at the worst I have let the algae grow on the glass to the point it would flake off in sheets.  

Over the last 2 months I have made some progress on getting better about some maintenance.  I have been running some carbon and GFO, changing socks more frequently, and I built a stand and components for a water change station that still needs to be plumbed together.

Here is how the tank sits now.  I know it isn't great but it looks quite a bit better than it did at its worst and the few corals that are there seem to be doing well.

33421344802_6102f06b01_k.jpg2017-03-21_05-56-12 by Jeff Stanley, on Flickr

Here is the future water change station.  I have a panworld 50PX that needs to be plumbed in and I can start using it.  The hope is that if I can make water changes simpler that I will do them more often!

33450528291_0414a74758_k.jpg2017-03-21_08-02-03 by Jeff Stanley, on Flickr

• Like 1

I had been wondering about your tank but was hesitant to ask when I saw you. Glad to see the update and hope you can get the tank to be enjoyable again. 

Not looking too bad considering the neglect you said you put it through.  Good luck with bringing it back up to par!

• Like 1

I too was expecting far worse, given how you spoke about it at Fragniappe with me.  Glad to see you getting it back on track.

Thanks guys, I am looking forward to getting this thing back on track and looking better.  I think I am going to try to keep to simple and hardy corals this go around because I know how I am and I know I will go through phases where I don't want to keep up with maintenance properly.  Hopefully after a few water changes I will be able to get the algae on the sand under control.

Another year later and here is how this tank sits now.

Tank continued to be neglected until about 3 months ago.  Since the last picture I have lost the bluejaw and the black clown mysteriously disappeared.  That left only the orange clown and a mandarin.  in the last months I have added a small sunburst anthias, another black clown, a female swallowtail angel, and a small multibar angel, as well as a few corals.  Orange clown is currently in the sump, she got mean as hell when I added the new black clown.  I am currently fighting low nutrients, as everything pretty much just seems to exist but not grow, and colors are light.  Sending off an ICP test Monday to learn where all my parameters truly are, and I have started feeding 2-4 times a day (once dipped in selcon) instead of once ever few days. doing 10-15 gallon bi-weekly water changes.

I am hoping to keep the tank on track this time around, every time things start going well something happens that kills my interest in keeping it up.  But now I am expecting my first kid in a few weeks and I want this to be the one hobby that I can share with her that will be educational and maybe pass down a few real world skills.

IMG_20180331_195534.jpg

Tank's looking good.  What Acro is that at the top in the middle?  Keep us posted on the test results.

On 4/4/2018 at 5:48 PM, RedStickReefer said:

Tank's looking good.  What Acro is that at the top in the middle?  Keep us posted on the test results.

Not sure, it's an ora green stag looking acro but I don't think it's green slimer.  The other acro that is much harder to see in the pic is an ora Joe the coral that is getting some nice color and a bit of growth.  

I got the results back from the ATI ICP and had some interesting results.  I tested my water the day I bottled up the samples and got the following results from my kits:

Salinity - 1.025 (digital refrac)

Phosphate - 0.00 (Hanna)

Nitrate - 0.00 (red Sea pro)

Calcium - 444 (Hanna)

Alk - 7.9dkh (Hanna)

Mag - ~1400ish (aquaforest)

My ICP results were as follows:

Salinity - 32.40ppt

Phosphate - 0.01

Nitrate - 18.93

Calcium - 451

Alk - 8.08

Mag - 1443

The nitrate reading is concerning considering I got 0.00 on a reputable kit, but I have been feeding very heavily lately so it's not unreasonable.  At this point how do I go about lowering nitrates while raising phosphates?  Test also showed pretty low iodine levels which should be an easy remedy.  How should I go about lowering mag?

Also seems.that it is time to change my rodi filters, getting high silicon reading from ICP thoughy TDS meters read 0 and my color change DI only appears half depleted.

Not sure how to go about lowering nitrates and raising phoshpates, but personally I wouldn't worry about trying to lower your Mg.  I don't think it'll hurt anything being at that level.  If your really want to, maybe do a couple water changes?  Not sure if that'll help though depending on what the Mg level is on your salt mix.  My Mg is at 1500 and I don't even worry about it...

I'm going to leave the mag alone and work on phos and nitrate.  I have some brightwell neophos coming in today to start dosing phosphate.  I also have a nitrate discrepancy to figure out.  I get 0.00 readings every time I test my nitrate with the red Sea nitrate pro kit, but the ICP test show nitrates at 18ppm.  So either my test kit is bad or the ICP test is inaccurate.  Going to bring my test kit and some water to the store I bought the kit from today and see if I can get some clarity.  

• Like 1