RedStickReefer

RedStickReefer's Dream Build

I had some free time today and stopped by Aquahut to dream a little and talk to John about ordering the tank.  Not ordering the tank yet, but man am I ready to get this moving...It was nice to visit with John again and have a look around the store.

24 minutes ago, RedStickReefer said:

I sense a bit of sarcasm there as it really isn't nice.  Haha, but it'll get her done until I can get back in the newly rebuilt house and put a big hole through the wall for the real filtration...😁

No sarcasm man.  Just glad to see you moving forward with the plan.

16 minutes ago, RedStickReefer said:

I had some free time today and stopped by Aquahut to dream a little and talk to John about ordering the tank.  Not ordering the tank yet, but man am I ready to get this moving...It was nice to visit with John again and have a look around the store.

I was actually at AH talking to John when we were texting earlier.  Weird... :o

Same here. It will also be nice to get a few more sps junkies around here again. I miss old school frag swaps. 

Figured I wouldn't start a separate build thread for this since I think of it as part of the 240g "system" even though it will be stand alone/plumbed separately.  I started work on a 30g long frag tank today.  The 30g long was formerly the sump for my 90g.  John at Aquahut let me borrow his hole bits and I drilled a couple holes in the 30g.  1" for the overflow, 3/4" for return.  Since I'm buying new Radions to go over the 240g, if my old Radions aren't fried from the flood, I plan on putting a single Radion over this frag tank.  The tank will be used for quarantine and dipping anything I'm considering for placement into the 240g.  I'll have a separate frag tank plumbed in with the 240g for any frags coming out of the 240g.  Here's a few pics from earlier today.

IMG_20170318_135314019_zps62ldewfi.jpg

IMG_20170318_160948_zpsttbvr40w.jpg

IMG_20170318_144505022_zpshyl4g0an.jpg

Sweet,Adam.  My power supplies were on top of my canopy so I'm hoping for the best.  I haven't tried plugging in my lights since the flood...hopefully theyre good to go.

Just a thought...if you can open those ballast boxes up before turning them on, do so, and check the circuit board for any corrosion or potential shorts.  If the board is dirty, wash it off with RO/DI and scrub lightly with a tooth brush.  Let it dry for a few days, then reassemble.  It might make the difference between a dead ballast and one that will continue to work.

I'll definitely take a look on the inside if I can.  Don't know if I can bring myself to put water on it though.  We'll see.  They weren't submerged, so hopefully they're good.  If anything they might be fried from electrical surges.

There's electronic cleaner in a spray can if you don't feel comfortable with the ro but it wouldn't hurt it as long as it's dry before you power it back up. 

3 hours ago, RedStickReefer said:

I'll definitely take a look on the inside if I can.  Don't know if I can bring myself to put water on it though.  We'll see.  They weren't submerged, so hopefully they're good.  If anything they might be fried from electrical surges.

Oh, my bad...I thought you said they had been submerged.  Never mind, then.

23 hours ago, kirk_m said:

Oh, my bad...I thought you said they had been submerged.  Never mind, then.

Might have read that about mine @kirk_m. My two t5 LET ballasts went under. They still work for now but good thing is they don't cost much to replace. 

Glad to hear you had a productive weekend Jensen! That 30b is going to make a fine frag tank!

As soon as I get back in my house I'll probably go ahead and set up the frag tank in my home office where the 29g frag tank used to be.  Still haven't decided how I'm going to use the 29g or the 120g in this build.  If I can drill the 120, I'll probably use it as a remote refugium for the 240.  It's an old Marineland 120.  Anybody know if it's tempered glass?  I might just give it a shot drilling it regardless... I paid $200 at Walmart for it probably 10+ years ago, so if it breaks, no sweat off my back.  It has served me well.

I can't promise water will be in the 30g tank any time soon, but I had the day off today and decided to build the frame for the stand.  I really want to get a tank going, but life just keep beating me down.  Staying positive though...I built the frame to fit a 40 breeder just in case I decide to sell the stand one day since the 40 is a popular size.  Plus it'll give me a ledge for the front of the 30 and give me enough room under the tank to fit one of those icecap 24 sumps from coralvue. 

I also picked up a few things a while back that I've been holding onto for this build, such as: various hanna checkers, the Jebao DP-4, Eheim compact+ 2000 return pump, an acrylic dosing reservoir I bought off Amazon, a new Tunze 3155 ATO, and misc. hose clamps, tubing, etc.  Not going all out on this build, but I think it'll be nice when finished.

IMG_20170724_124600059_zpsog53xfyw.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Kirk!  I also pulled my radions down from the attic and plugged them in for the first time since the flood.  They work!  Not sure for how long they'll be working, but at least they turned on.  I also pulled down a reef octopus 110 skimmer from the attic I'll be using for this build.

• Like 2

Now I'm getting excited @Reef Tank Greg!  My icecap 24 sump arrived today.  Two thumbs up to @Premiumaq!  I ordered Monday afternoon and it arrived in one piece at my doorstep before 3:00 today.  Fits like a glove under the stand and I'm getting pumped about this build.  I've been reefing 6 or more years now and this is my first "real", meaning something professionally made rather than my own DIY project, sump. lol.  I'm really wanting to get water in this tank asap. Haha.

IMG_20170726_155028914_zpswbyex5wl.jpg

• Like 1