RedStickReefer

RedStickReefer's Dream Build

Haha, yep!  It's been too long!  I do feel like this is turning out to be the best all around build I've done to date, so hopefully tank will look spectacular once I find my rhythm with it and the corals get a chance to grow out.  I wish the tank was bigger, but it's all I can do for now and I figure I can still fit around 10-15 SPS colonies in it.  Should be pretty fun getting back into it and I'm chomping at the bit.  Things can't happen fast enough.  I want water in this tank today! :D

Happy birthday!

I got a few new things today for my shut down tank and started building stand. Got an aqua clear 110, a smart AWC, and picked up tank 53g same foot print as 40b but a tad taller. Haven’t spent a dime on the stand we had a nice pallet come into work a week ago. Picked it apart to make stand.

51a71270240909c24f8562ee37e80171.jpge5ee3be2dbd234bb505becdfa2517452.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the birthday wishes! Just got back from Georges filling my cup up! :D. I can't see your pics Steve for some reason, but that's awesome if you can recycle some pallets to build what you need.

19 hours ago, mknightryder said:

Fair enough... ;) Although you could've had @RoughLSUfan son come smash that rock for you!!! His young son does the best Hulk Smash impersonation I've ever seen!!! :rollingyellow:

Man I'm excited to see where this little 30l goes my friend! Whenever I moved all my corals into a 40B after the flood, I had the best growth spurt I've ever seen out of any of my corals since being in this hobby! Tank had no sand, no fish, packed to the gills with rock w/ sps, lps, zoas, palys, and a clam... Used a Rubbermaid tote for a sump. Very simple buy man it got the job done!!! 

LOL, He is a Hulk Smashing SOB man. Surprised we still have a house with all the smashing he does.....HAHAHAHAH

I just wanted to add the equipment list for this 30g build here so it's all in one spot.

Aqueon 30g long tank (used to be the sump for my old 90g reef)
Two Radion Gen1 lights on RMS mounts
Coralvue Icecap sump
Ehiem compact 2000+ return pump
Tunze Osmolator 3155 ATO
Finnex titanium heater tube
Two TLF Phosban reactors (1 for carbon, 1 for GFO)
Reef Octopus NW-110-6520B Skimmer (equipped with the aquatrance 1000s pump, not OTP)
Jebao DP-4 dosing pump
Jebao SW-8 powerhead
DA Reefkeeper Lite

Ecotech Reeflink
Hanna checkers for Ca, Alk and phosphorus
Pukani rock from BRS
CaribSea special grade sand

Edited by RedStickReefer
Added equipment

I made a little more progress this evening, but I ran out of daylight...I bought all of the plumbing with the exception of a few 1/2" valves for my reactors.  Lowes was sold out of them.  I still need to put another coat of paint on the stand and finish sanding/painting the doors.  Getting close though!

27217465869_64375f0c2c_k.jpg2017-12-11_05-40-16 by Jensen Esneault

Looks good Jensen. I would not use ball valves from Lowes/Home Depot. I used them, after awhile, they are very hard to turn. If they turn at all. 

Edited by stoned

Stand looks good. I always seem to run out of daylight and then I run out of tank light time when I'm working on something. 

glad I see y'all talking about home depot valves. that's what I just put on my tank. I wanted to buy all gate valves, and I will when I redo my plumbing on it in about 6 months.

I ordered some Cepex valves from bulk reef supply when they was on sale around Thanksgiving. Just haven't gotten around to replacing them. Getting lazy in my old age. lol

17 hours ago, lars said:

Stand looks good. I always seem to run out of daylight and then I run out of tank light time when I'm working on something. 

Yeah, running out of tank light is the worst.  Especially on those days you get home from a store or frag swap later than expected, lights are out, and you just want to dip and get your frags in the tank!

3 hours ago, 110reef said:

Hmm. Most of my lights have some thingy called a "switch", which allows me to turn them on at any time.

Thats the dilemma, turn the lights on and screw with your fish, and possibly corals ( though corals not in your case ken) and get it done or just leave as is.  I've done both, and haven't seen any negative effects just turning the lights on, but its the principal...I like to leave alone.

Just wanted to give y'all a look at the finished stand.  Im definitely no painter...you can't see all of the drips and screw ups in the picture. Lol

2017-12-13_08-08-33

My goal is to get water in the tank and begin the cycle this weekend.  Im still waiting on some equipment and my salt to arrive though (I went with the Fritz RPM Pro salt mix).  I want to have all or most of my equipment installed with the holes drilled in the control panel before I put the sump under the stand and add water. With my luck I'd bust a hole in the sump trying to do so afterward...Started pouring up the ro/di tonight!

2017-12-13_08-07-52

Just curious - why did you make the cutout area for the tank instead of simply making the top of the stand flat? My concern would be that the area could hold water and maybe begin rotting of the wood. Otherwise, looks great! Looking forward to seeing water in it.

I wanted to have a bigger ledge around the tank and didn't have enough plywood left. I needed the bigger ledge to put the crown moulding around the top of the stand.  I also wanted to hide some of the black trim at the bottom of the tank. I siliconed the cutout portion really well and used premium exterior paint that is supposed to be impervious to ice/snow/water so I should be okay.  I put five or more coats of paint on the top just for that reason.

I stopped at the Lowes on Millerville since the Lowes just off of Siegen didn't have 1/2" double union valves.  Millerville didn't have any either, so I just bought 3 more 3/4" valves and will reduce them to 1/2".  I refuse to pay $60 plus shipping for three 1/2" cepex valves from BRS...I completed dry fitting the plumbing after work today.  I ended up having to make a quick trip to the Home Depot by my house for one dang 3/4" elbow.  I'm going to sleep on this plumbing arrangement and if I don't think of any other way to improve it I'll probably glue it all together after work tomorrow.  Depends on how my day goes tomorrow though. 

The valve on the manifold all the way to the right is for my return.  The three valves in the middle are for reactors or any other equipment I might add in the future.  The valve all the way to the left will be for water changes.  I have a window to the left of the tank, so all I'll have to do is run the hose out the window and open up the valve. I'll put a quick connect fitting like a john guest or similar on that valve. I can close off the return flow as well if I need more pressure when doing a water change. 

27282391829_3ce86680a4_k.jpg2017-12-14_05-37-09 by Jensen Esneault

39059790471_fac33206b9_k.jpg2017-12-14_05-36-42 by Jensen Esneault

I also got the tank cleaned up this evening.  Sprayed some vinegar on it intermittently and let it soak while I was working on the plumbing.  After I was finished with the plumbing I scraped all the coralline algae and other crap off of the glass.  Looking much better now...The spots you see on the glass are vinegar droplets.  I sprayed the glass down one last time after I hit it with the razor blade.

24198611757_f38cd5d062_k.jpg2017-12-14_05-37-32 by Jensen Esneault

Currently soaking my skimmer in a 5g bucket of vinegar to get it good and cleaned up.  I also plan on soaking my reactors and any other old equipment I plan on reusing for this build.  My biggest fear is that some kind of residual contamination from the flood is going to prevent this tank and its inhabitants from thriving, or worse, killing everything I try to put in it...

1 hour ago, Smtwinn said:

Looking sweet Jenson! You running two xr30s? I did some work on my shutdown tank and stand tonight also.

Yes. I realize it's overkill, but I have them laying around sooo...lol.  I'll turn the overall intensity way down to around 40% or so.  We'll see how it goes.  Cool, I'll have to checkout your progress.