RedStickReefer

RedStickReefer's Dream Build

242 posts in this topic

Water is going in today!  Praying for no leaks...I definitely suck at plumbing.

24232279057_968f981632_k.jpg2017-12-16_12-47-59 by Jensen Esneault

Sneak peek at the control panel.  Not finished yet.  I'll probably add another power bar.  I also saved room at the top right to add another SW-8 if needed in the future.  I know when my 120g was packed with SPS I had three or four WP-40s going full blast at one point...

38383586794_31b45ef1cd_k.jpg2017-12-16_12-48-35 by Jensen Esneault

I got my pH and salinity probes calibrated and everything is online.  Control panel is finished for the time being.  No plumbing leaks, so salt and sand went in last night. I'm still waiting for the tank to clear up and I also have to adjust my salinity.  I still need to play with the scape some too.

39113107151_8f556d20ee_k.jpg2017-12-17_11-59-40 by Jensen Esneault

39081750382_258a4cfed1_k.jpg2017-12-17_11-59-19 by Jensen Esneault

Haha, I realize in the pic it looks like nothing's in there, but you have to see it in person.  It's just enough rock for me with the space I'm working with.  The sand was piled up in the middle of the tank burying the rock.  After I spread out the sand and adjusted the rocks it looks much better than the pic above.

Small update.  The tank has cleared up pretty good this morning.  I don't plan on running my lights during the cycle, but I have been turning them on periodically while home just make sure they are truly working.  I'm just a little gun shy with the Radions since they were over my 120 during the flood and the last thing I want is to get expensive SPS in this tank and the lights crap out.  Well, good thing I was running them because one of my radion fans went out.  Nothing major, but I'm glad I've been running them a little bit so I can get this issue fixed while the tank is still cycling.

I have a question for those of you monitoring salinity using a probe with the Apex, RKL or similar.  Does your salinity bounce around like crazy?  I'm wondering if it's due to the fact that I just added salt on Saturday night so the salinity is still bouncing around, or is it the position of my probe, or is it just that these probes aren't the most accurate/reliable?  I've measured using a freshly calibrated temp compensating refractometer and salinity is dead on at 35 ppt every time I measure.  I know a small swing is expected, but I can watch it swing on the RKL readout anywhere from 49 to 56 mS/cm within a few minutes...

Here's a little bit better pic of the scape than the one above.  I don't plan on adding anymore rock.  I know how quickly healthy happy SPS can pack a tank in just a couple years, and I plan on giving them all the space they need in this small tank.

24276393827_6fb30adfa5_k.jpg2017-12-18_10-13-11 by Jensen Esneault

• Like 1

Working out another hiccup in this build tonight.  I got my salinity on target and adjusted my Tunze ATO to the appropriate level.  Turned it on and it worked fine.  The eye shut the water off at the correct level.  Some time later I hear the ATO alarm going off...Freaking syphoning issue.  I guess because the all in one sump's top off reservoir is right next the return chamber and the water level in the reservoir is higher it's syphoning water into the return chamber.  I never had this issue with the Tunze ATO on my 90g and at times the water level in my bucket was higher than the water level in my sump.  I unplugged the Tunze ATO and I'm waiting for the water to evaporate before trying again.  I can't move the reservoir since it's attached to my sump, so I'm going with this squirrely configuration with it pumping into the overflow until I come up with a better idea.  Any suggestions from y'all would be appreciated. 

27365571099_8ab9e3d7b8_k.jpg2017-12-18_05-01-20 by Jensen Esneault

I thought about that, but I need the hole in the cap so my overflow doesn't pull a vacuum.  I guess I could drill a second hole in the cap for the ATO tubing.  Honestly though, the whole "putting the tubing in my overflow" thing (sorry if that kind of sounds bad, lol) is not ideal or what I want at all.

55 minutes ago, Smtwinn said:

Can’t you just use the same bracket on the side of the sump or zip tie ato line to return tubing above water line?

Problem solved, thanks!  I originally had the excess tubing draped over the return valve up high on the back of the tank to take up all the slack in the tubing and keep it above the water line.  I'm guessing the remaining water in the straight run of tubing running down from the valve up top on the back of the tank was sucking the water from the top off section into the return section.  I put the tubing on the ground and it was still syphoning, so I tried the overflow idea.  I think this will work though.  I put a bunch of loops in the line and zip tied the line to the manifold.  I guess the short run and the loops make a major difference.  I triggered the ATO and it seems to be working correctly at this point.

38436923704_e96721a49b_k.jpg2017-12-18_06-54-40 by Jensen Esneault

I kept the Eheim pumps from my 90g and 120g after the flood in hopes that they still worked.  I need a pump for salt mixing for this tank and decided to pull them down from the attic tonight and clean them up.  They both still work!  Money saved...good thing is the pvc manifold I made for my 90g will work perfectly for mixing and pumping water into the tank as well.  Whatever was in or on one of the pumps along with all the coralline buildup caused a pretty strong reaction.  I've seen bubbles before, but nothing this strong before.  The vinegar looked like it was boiling.  Lol

A few more pics of some of the progress made. I got my radion power supplies mounted under the stand.  Not my first choice in placement, but it'll have to work at least for now given the space I have.  I still have some cable management to do.

39137099222_840d8536f8_k.jpg2017-12-19_04-42-01 by Jensen Esneault

I got my saltwater mixing setup ready to go. I repurposed the ehiem pump and part of the manifold from my old 90g reef for salt mixing. The Brute can, lid and dolly were purchased from Home Depot.

38287447355_c573adb9b0_k.jpg2017-12-19_04-41-16 by Jensen Esneault

I also added an APC battery backup just to run my return pump and heater during a power outage (maybe powerheads too.  Haven't decided yet). No more rushing home from work and putting in battery powered air stones for me! I should get about 2hrs, or maybe a little less when the heater kicks on, with this 900w battery backup.

39137091622_fc35eac79c_k.jpg2017-12-19_04-41-35 by Jensen Esneault

Inching toward the finish line on this build.  I got my dosing pump set up today.  Next I think I'm going to seed this dead rock and sand with a variety of live copepods and amphipods.  A crucial step I regretted skipping when I set up my old 90g.  Still need to get my carbon and GFO reactors plumbed in, but that can wait for now.

2017-12-20_11-03-02

2017-12-20_11-03-50

2017-12-20_11-03-22

2017-12-20_11-04-16

19 hours ago, 110reef said:

So no calcium reactor for this baby?

Not yet.  I'll end up having to get one in the end though.  I just plan on waiting until the corals outgrow the dosing/water changes.

I just added over 10,500 copepods and a shot of live phytoplankton to the 30g.  I hope that's enough copepods...:D.  My sump has a place for a sock holder, but I have never used socks on a reef before and I don't think I'm going to run one with this reef either.  I may change my mind in the future, but for right now I just piled up a little bit of rock rubble in the area beneath where the sock hangs.  Should provide a good lil safe haven for the copepods and amphipods I'm adding to the reef.  My amphipods haven't shipped yet.  The copepods are a variety of tigriopus, tisbe and apocyclops I picked up from Algae Barn.  It was a buy one get one free deal I couldn't pass up.

39226749471_41de3f4310_k.jpg2017-12-22_05-24-53 by Jensen Esneault

Oh, the replacement fan for one of my radions also came in today.  I'm definitely not breaking out the dremel and performing surgery on the module tonight.  Yes, I said dremel...  The new fans ecotech now uses do not fit in the provided fan hole on Gen1 radions.  It was a PITA to replace my last fan...I had to dremel out about 1/8" of one side of the acrylic to fit the new fan in my other radion when I replaced it.  Personally, for the money paid for these modules I feel like Ecotech should offer to service and replace the fans on Gen1 radions free of charge.  The new fan only cost me $15 and they covered shipping, so I'll make it happen...However, if by some chance I screw it up doing it myself this go round I will be very pissed.

24366383647_32117a0ff8_k.jpg2017-12-22_06-43-31 by Jensen Esneault

That's a crazy amount of pods. I ordered 1/2 that for the 300 and those bastads cover the glass. Same goes with amphipods. Ordered 1000 from RoyalReefs and I dump hundreds out of the socks when changing them.