RedStickReefer

RedStickReefer's Dream Build

I performed the fan replacement surgery on the radion earlier today.  It urks me that I had to put a dremel to the acrylic to make the new fan fit, but everything is working fine.  Both radions are now working properly.

39269412711_aa78641a24_k.jpg2017-12-24_03-17-50 by Jensen Esneault

24407009487_f920a4f880_k.jpg2017-12-24_03-18-12 by Jensen Esneault

Quick update.  Tomorrow marks two weeks this tank has been cycling.  I've been ghost feeding the tank a few times per week and added some copepods. I've also been dosing a little Ocean Magic phytoplankton here and there for the copepods. My amphipods should be delivered today.  My rocks and sand are covered in diatoms marking the beginning of the end of the cycle.  I think next week I'll do a large water change and go ahead and add the clean up crew.

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 5:51 PM, ericd000 said:

Looking good J...  Well that bacteria bloom doesn't... but we all hate those :P

The bloom cleared up and I've done a couple water changes.  Parameters look good, tank looks good and I've got a clean up crew from Reef Cleaners coming this week.  Heading to Aqua Hut and Reef Coral next week to start looking at fish. :)

• Like 1

CUC was delivered today from reefcleaners.  100% survived 2-3 day shipping...I got some cerith, nerite, zig zag periwinkles, and nassarius snails along with some blue leg hermits.  I bought around 10 or so of each just to get me started.  I plan on adding a few more hermits and a bunch of astrea snails in the near future.  It's nice to get some life going in the tank!

When I have a cleanup crew consisting of snails and crabs, I find the crew slowly dwindles to nothing. My last crew is only snails, no crabs. I haven't lost any snails in over 2 years. I am thinking that crabless is the way to go.

Edited by 110reef
  • Like 1

Well, last week didn't go as planned (week 6).  I added those hermits and snails the week before and ended up with another bloom in my tank.  I was hoping to start adding fish, but I'm stuck waiting until the tank clears up again...Feels good doing some reefing again though.  Blasting music, drinking beer, doing water changes, changing media, mixing up salt, etc.  Wish I had some acro colonies to frag up!!:D

17 hours ago, agateblue said:

Sweet project you got there. Can't wait for more updates. 

Thanks! Hopefully it'll be an epic lil 30g SPS reef, but I don't know if I'll ever achieve what I did with my 120g again.  We'll see what the future holds...

• Like 1

Been trying to get a picture, but my phone cant get a decent pic.  One of the snails I got from reefcleaners came with some kind of mussels attached to its shell, three of them.  They've doubled in size in just the few weeks the snails have been in my tank.  I'll post a pic whenever I manage to get a decent shot.  Keeping an eye on the snail because if it dies I'm going to glue its shell to the rocks somewhere and see how long I can keep these mussels alive.

I was finally able to get a couple pics of these mussels attached to my snail's shell.  There are three of them and they've doubled in size since my last post.  Does anybody know what these things are?  Growing this fast I'm wondering if they'll be a future nuisance...I'm not even dosing the tank yet.  Poor snail might not be able to move around soon. LOL.

38597535730_ad1ae1d8bf_k.jpg2018-02-21_04-33-58 by Jensen Esneault

39697853684_6f1636f6fc_k.jpg2018-02-21_04-34-23 by Jensen Esneault

Hmmm, nobody on here knows what those mussels are?  I guess I might need to take a better pic and/or take it to one of the national forums for an answer.

Here's a couple bad pics of some nice corals I picked up at Fragniappe yesterday.  Ill try to get some better pics at a later date.

Zoanthids/palys from left to right: Sunny Ds, candy apple reds, nightmare, rastas, and emeralds on fire with one bam bam polyp as a bonus.

2018-03-04_10-11-57

Well, it won't let me delete the second image above from my phone, so moving on...  I took care of the duplicate for ya - Eric

Strawberry shortcake acro

2018-03-04_10-11-13

Miami orchid. I know the tip looks dead in the pic, but it's just a bad pic.  Tip is light blue.

2018-03-04_10-11-34

Pink maze brain (platygyra)

2018-03-04_10-10-53

The guy I bought this from at the NaCl booth didn't know what this was called other than it was a favia.  He said it had been called many things over the years and thought it might be a grape ape something or other...after some research online it's what i know as a Raptors Peace Favia.

2018-03-04_10-10-24

Thanks Eric!  Nice seeing you at the event.  Here's some, only slightly better, pics of my haul.

39907012654_d330377603_k.jpg2018-03-04_12-31-10 by Jensen Esneault, on Flickr

39722125925_d9191ea609_k.jpg2018-03-04_12-30-53 by Jensen Esneault, on Flickr

39906999984_0aef794378_k.jpg2018-03-04_12-30-37 by Jensen Esneault, on Flickr

39906991354_218c1b3144_k.jpg2018-03-04_12-30-13 by Jensen Esneault, on Flickr

39906984884_e150c78c93_k.jpg2018-03-04_12-29-53 by Jensen Esneault, on Flickr

Saweet! Nice additions man! I've always liked Favias and similar brains, but they either wither away or they just don't grow... I've had a two mouth frag of a purple rim/green mouth favia for two yrs now that has not did anything. It's the same size as when I bought it...  If you find out the magic Params they like them let us know! 

Thanks, will do Michael!  Well, ready or not, here they come!! The SPS frags I bought at Fragniappe are looking better and better everyday.  Since they haven't RTN'd on me yet, and Fraghouse Corals wasn't at Fragniappe, I kinda went nuts and ordered some really nice pieces from Fraghouse Corals online. 

I got my dosing pump calibrated and mixed up some BRS 2part.  I knew when I ordered the jebao dosing pump what I was getting, but I didn't expect to get a bad pump head right out of the box...oh well, you get what you pay for I guess and I only need 3 pump heads at this point anyway.  The DP-4 came with an extra, but I can't find it at the moment.  It's buried in my closet somewhere...Anyway, enough about that boring crap.  Let's show you guys what I ordered.

39928907504_5a28e18e41_b.jpg2018-03-05_12-52-22 by Jensen Esneault

38828616190_f387c1fac4_b.jpg2018-03-05_12-52-02 by Jensen Esneault

40597105302_2dbb428a5d_b.jpg2018-03-05_12-51-31 by Jensen Esneault

25768172017_fa0f385123_b.jpg2018-03-05_12-51-00 by Jensen Esneault

5 hours ago, mknightryder said:

:popcorn:

Man those are some fire a** colors on them sticks!!!

Yeah Brandon definitely had some great colors on his sps. He's one of my go to sps vendors. 

They're coming in next week.  I can't wait!  I saw his corals last year at fragniappe and was completely blown away.  I don't know if there's a better SPS vendor in the game right now from what I saw, but right now I'm just rooting for this strawberry shortcake I bought from Harry to keep chugging along.  It is settling in nicely (lead growth polyps are starting to go to work at night), but I hope I'm not getting my hopes up.  This is one coral that has eluded me over the years that I've never been able to keep.  Surprisingly, this is the smallest frag of it I've ever bought, but is showing the MOST promise so far.  I think I've bought at least 4 or 5 "shortcake" frags in the past. All I can do is enjoy the ride while it lasts, and hopefully it lasts.  Dosing pump is primed and ready and if I recall I have a small Ca reactor in the attic that I didn't toss after the flood if sh!t gets real...:D

Good luck to you sir!  I really do hope it ends well for you. You added established colonies to a new environment which can get ugly, or in my case when I moved and replaced the sandbed it worked out for the best. It can be a toss up....but in my case I'm adding small frags to a new environment.  Not sure it there's much of a difference other than demand for elements, but you definitely have a higher mountain to climb IMO.