MockandRoll

MockandRoll Reefer 170 (40g)

69 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, mknightryder said:

Holy crap that's fricking awesome!!! :datsphatyo:

I thought so too. I let the favia try to take it down for a few hours then pulled out the half eaten stomata.  

Changed my radion lenses to wide angle. Tank is going great except for my bubblegum monti, which has been slowly losing color. I have also been fighting hydroids with scrubbing. It will be a never ending battle but for some reason I currently don't mind. I feed my corals daily so I decided to try a sun coral. Well see how long that lasts. 

20171023_201950-0120171023_201228-01

20171023_201016_001-01

Tank look good. I couldn't keep sun coral alive because I'm not one to keep up with the feeding that is required.

On 10/30/2017 at 10:35 PM, stoned said:

Tank look good. I couldn't keep sun coral alive because I'm not one to keep up with the feeding that is required.

Thanks. I think I have a chance to keep the sun coral long term since I feed frozen daily. 

I went through my first tank move last month. I closed on a home on 2/22 and started moving the following weekend. I took off from work on Monday just to move the tank. I had no help so it was a busy day.  I mixed 30 gallons of saltwater and rinsed new sand the night before. Around 9 am I started by individually bagging all the corals I could and placing them in an ice chest.  Because the rockscape was mortared together, I ended up breaking the rock into 4 pieces so I could fit it into a trashcan.  After draining, I scooped out and discarded all the sand while catching all remaining snails, shrimp, fish, etc. I  loaded up the tank in the cab of a truck and put the stand in the back with the trash can full of rock. I was glad I was able to pick up the tank and stand myself since I had no help. 

I was only moving 2 minutes away so the drive was quick.  I set the tank back up with new sand then started adding the rock back.  I didn't worry about how the rock structure looked or coral placement, I just wanted all the corals back in the tank under stable temps and salinity. After I got it all set back up using 1 powerhead, a heater, and return pump, I went back to the old home and picked up all the remaining equipment then called it a day with a six pack around 4 pm. The following evening I hung the light but took my time over the next week or more setting the equipment back up. After getting the equipment right, I then transitioned to fixing the rockscape and gluing corals back a little at a time. I finally finished this past weekend. The rockscape ended up looking basically the same as before.  I have been getting slime algae, which is probably from losing the mature sandbed. 

20180326_200401-01

20180326_200422-01

20180326_200717-01

20180326_200627-01

My tank has been chugging along with good and bad. The bad is I can't figure out why my staghorn acro polyps haven't been extending and I found monti eating nubies. The good is all my lps and soft corals are looking and growing well and my tank's automation has been working great. 

Just took this

2018-08-24_07-47-43

Pick of my rock flower anemone spitting out baby 2 days ago. They all got eaten up by the pumps and filtration

2018-08-22_12-43-12

• Thanks 1

This was always one of my, " I wish my BAD WORD would look like his does!" tanks... Glad to hear it's all chugging along. Sucks to hear about the monti eating nudi's though... Let us know how you go about treating/getting rid of them. 

On 8/24/2018 at 9:53 PM, mknightryder said:

This was always one of my, " I wish my BAD WORD would look like his does!" tanks... Glad to hear it's all chugging along. Sucks to hear about the monti eating nudi's though... Let us know how you go about treating/getting rid of them. 

On 8/24/2018 at 11:36 PM, ericd000 said:

Looking to be coming along nicely  Sucks about the nudis.  

Thanks! To my surprise I have found between 10-20 baby flower anemones stuck on my rock. It will be interested to see how many survive.  As for the nubi's I am going with the manage approach. I got a six line this weekend and I have been sucking them out with a pipette at night and in the morning. Hopefully if I stay diligent I will be able to contain without much loss. I have 2 large monti colonies (sunrise and sunset) that I can't rip out without tearing up my whole aquascape.  Well see how it turns out. 

So I was wrong about the number of flower anemone babies that made it. They are everywhere, easily 50+. I think my only option is to wait a few months until they are the size of a quarter and then start removing. My aquascape is basically a left and right piece so it shouldn't be to bad. 

Edited by MockandRoll

Dang that's pretty cool to hear! I've picked up a few flower rock nems for my son's tank this past yr... I think out of six only three have made it.. One got in the powerheads I guess, cause we came home to some nastiness blowing around in the tank. Did a good waterchange and sucked what pieces out I could. Tank never skipped a beat.. I guess we took care of it in time... I could see how one could crash a tank if not caught in time though....

I wonder if you could put frag plugs/ disk/ rubble rock next to them and then position a small maxjet type pump at them to see if the water blasting on them would make them move onto the plugs? I know they can cram themselves way up into the rock holes/crevices, so that would be hit or miss to try I guess... :shrug:

5 hours ago, mknightryder said:

Dang that's pretty cool to hear! I've picked up a few flower rock nems for my son's tank this past yr... I think out of six only three have made it.. One got in the powerheads I guess, cause we came home to some nastiness blowing around in the tank. Did a good waterchange and sucked what pieces out I could. Tank never skipped a beat.. I guess we took care of it in time... I could see how one could crash a tank if not caught in time though....

I wonder if you could put frag plugs/ disk/ rubble rock next to them and then position a small maxjet type pump at them to see if the water blasting on them would make them move onto the plugs? I know they can cram themselves way up into the rock holes/crevices, so that would be hit or miss to try I guess... :shrug:

That may work for a few but there are way to many. Below is a pic I just took. They are still very small. These patches are all over my rock. The picture has 4 babies in it (arrows) and a Collonista snail is in the upper left for size reference. If most survive I need to figure out a quick way to get them out.  My initial thought is to wait until they get bigger then take the rock out and try and get their feet to detach with cold, something like plastic ice cubes. 

rfa

Oh wow those guys are small!!! I'd have never seen them..:o.. If I had seen that in my tank I'd have thought it was just another Aiptasia... :angry:

That's really neat though... I got a few ricordias that have had babies in the past. It's really cool when you find freebies like that!!!:lol:

The baby rock anemones in the tank are starting to show color. I still have around ~200 babies with three dominate color types (green, orange, and yellow with orange center). The larger ones are getting to be about the size of a dime. My plan is to wait until they get about the size of a quarter and then setup a frag tank and start taking them out.

31366592917_920ff8e3e3_b.jpg

That's awesome. When the wife sees the money coming in from selling frags, see will get use to it.

Congrats Nem Daddy