Sign in to follow this  
Macsdaddy

Euphyllia eating nudis?

21 posts in this topic

Are there nudis that specifically prey on euphyllias? I have something on the base of one of my branching frogspawn heads that resembles a nudibranch but they are so small it's hard to tell. When I shine a light on them, they seem to retract under the coral tissue and stay there for a while. They don't seem to travel around but stay in the same place. I would post a pic, but I don't have a macro lens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not familiar with an obligate nudi. There are parasitic copepods that prey on Euphyllias. They would look like a nudi if you could get a really good look at one

I'm not familiar with an obligate nudi. There are parasitic copepods that prey on Euphyllias. They would look like a nudi if you could get a really good look at one

That's one of the problems I'm having. The magnifying glass I have can't quite get it big enough to tell what it really looks like and the coral is epoxied to a decent sized piece of rock so I haven't been able to take it out to get closer. I guess I'll do some rearranging over the weekend and take the whole rock out to get a closer look. If it is some kind of copepod, how do I kill it?

Any of the coral dips should kill them. I've always used Coral RX or Coral RX Pro- can't remember which.Will probably have to break the coral of the rock to dip it. Should be able to find a quality dip at any salt specific LFS.

Any of the coral dips should kill them. I've always used Coral RX or Coral RX Pro- can't remember which.Will probably have to break the coral of the rock to dip it. Should be able to find a quality dip at any salt specific LFS.

I dipped them and every other coral in my tank in RX pro before putting in my DT. I guess maybe there were eggs or they came in on a snail? Can they escape the dip by being under or within the coral tissue? These seem to be right in the border between the soft tissue and the skeleton and when I shine a light on them long enough they disappear into the soft tissue.

I suppose it's possible a few survived under the tissue if circulation wasn't adequate. Adults hold onto the eggs until they hatch so they meet the same fate as the adult.

I suppose it's possible a few survived under the tissue if circulation wasn't adequate. Adults hold onto the eggs until they hatch so they meet the same fate as the adult.

d890351e6f402b8508834828ce937876.jpg

Whatever it is it way bigger than I thought. When I got home from work it had come out further and I was able to get some pics. Nudi?

Well that thing is nuts, no defining characteristic to point to a definitive ID. It's likely a sea slug but not one I'm familiar with. I'll check a few books later and see if I can dig anything up. May want to write into WWM and specifically ask for LynnZ. She's on another level of invert IDs. Abide by WWMs pic requirements or you'll catch Fenners wrath. 

Thanks

Excuse my ignorance, but I don't know what WWM is

The crazy thing about this thing is it came out of the base of the soft tissue like it has been growing inside

WWM aka WetWebMedia, it's Bob Fenners site. Lynn Zurik is the invert god; it's scary how much she knows about inverts. Marco is her equivalent on WWM when it comes to morays. The site can take some getting used to but there is a wealth of information on it. If you go to the "about the WWM crew members" tab, I'm the good lookin SOB on the couch with the Ole Miss shirt, right above LynnZ's profile.

Your second email is in the WWM inbox. I'm curious to see what Bob or Lynn think it may be.

Edited by Bob Loblaw

Your second email is in the WWM inbox. I'm curious to see what Bob or Lynn think it may be.

Yeah, me too. The only pic I had that met the posting rules was too dark to see anything. Bob suggested I post pics elsewhere and post a link.

Thanks again for pointing me in that direction.

Does it ever change places on the coral? I could swear that given the wispy appearance of the object that it's a bunch of mesenterial filaments hanging off the coral.

1 hour ago, kirk_m said:

Does it ever change places on the coral? I could swear that given the wispy appearance of the object that it's a bunch of mesenterial filaments hanging off the coral.

It doesn't seem to move, but it does go in and out of the soft tissue.

3 hours ago, kirk_m said:

That's what I thought it looked like when I first seen it too... dunno:shrug:

I believe that is the answer - mesenteric filaments.

Deployed to fight off the vermetids growing on the stalk.