ZackTheReefer

zacks blank canvas

so ive been staring at this empty fluval evo sea laying around, taking up space and wondering what i could make of it. finally decided to start something this weekend. had some extra water after a water change and found some extra sand so i threw the tank together. threw some cycled bio cylinders and new carbon in it and its rollin! (threw some xenia and a torch i had sitting in the sump so it wouldnt be so bare while i figure this out...) ready to get some rock as soon as i have a plan!

IMG_9915_zpsqqy70umk.jpg

theres one big problem, i cant decide on what i should do as far as stocking!

this light cant handle much so i was kinda thinking softies like maybe a huge leather, kenya trees and mushrooms, cloves. 

i can keep this tank higher in nutrients and keep things that dont do well in my display.

or...

i could do planted style, with different types of macro algae. sponges and gorgonian 

or..

i could try a nem tank. im not sure this light will do though. i do think this would be very neat though. with a few clowns and a bunch of nems.

all in all, i need to keep this tank fairly inexpensive( gf was not at all thrilled when i did this. i know she will grow to love it later though:P)

as far as fish go totally not sure. lfs has some cool striped pipefish and seahorses which i have seen done before in this tank. ive also seen a small angler which would be neat. and of course if i did do the nem tank, just clowns..

so what do you guys think? any ideas on fish or tank styles????:shrug::shrug::shrug:

I'd upgrade the light and do a nem tank but it looks like tank size could limit options. My plan would be increase the sandbed and go with H. malu with a pair of Clarkiis or an LTA with a pair of Orange Skunks.  BTA would be the easiest nem to keep in that size tank.

Macros with pipefish would be my second plan but the light may need an upgrade for certain macros. I'd skip the horses. They're cool for about a week,  the novelty wears off, and they become a pita.

Anglers are neat but like all ambush predators, they're kind of boring.

A small species of mantis is something to consider... 

I'd go nem/clown. I'm doing a 225 build but I also picked up a 30 cube that I'm gonna do a nem with clowns in. You'll def need a good light though.

well i think im convinced now. thank you guys. still going to sleep on it but i think thats what im going to do.. i have another led laying around that will work.. i have a rainbow bta and bta in my display but they like it in there so thats where they will stay. so i think btas are out of the question. id like something different. so the question now is which anenome is right for this tank size.. id like something that will grow to a pretty nice size and fill a larger portion of the tank... and also who has one for sale???:wavingblue:

so @btingle85 what did you have in your previous nem tank?

6 minutes ago, ZackTheReefer said:

well i think im convinced now. thank you guys. still going to sleep on it but i think thats what im going to do.. i have another led laying around that will work.. i have a rainbow bta and bta in my display but they like it in there so thats where they will stay. so i think btas are out of the question. id like something different. so the question now is which anenome is right for this tank size.. id like something that will grow to a pretty nice size and fill a larger portion of the tank... and also who has one for sale???:wavingblue:

so @btingle85 what did you have in your previous nem tank?

I had a green bta with a pair of snowcap percs. They did not host though, which pissed me off. A blue or green carpet with percs would be sweet but that tank is too small. Maybe an LTA with skunks or maroons?

26 minutes ago, btingle85 said:

I had a green bta with a pair of snowcap percs. They did not host though, which pissed me off. A blue or green carpet with percs would be sweet but that tank is too small. Maybe an LTA with skunks or maroons?

ive always wanted maroons but wouldnt they get way too big for this tank? and a blue carpet would be amazing. makes me want to go out and just a larger tank just for this. 

The Sebae pictured is a H. malu. The "colored" one they offer is bleached and will not look like that if it survives. Malus generally arrive in horrid condition and take some TLC to get them healthy enough for clowns. Once healthy they pack quite the sting and should not be paired with a non symbiont clown species.

ETA--

I had a green bta with a pair of snowcap percs. They did not host though, which pissed me off.

non symbionts....

ETA#2--

How wide is that tank?

Edited by Bob Loblaw

20 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

The Sebae pictured is a H. malu. The "colored" one they offer is bleached and will not look like that if it survives. Malus generally arrive in horrid condition and take some TLC to get them healthy enough for clowns. Once healthy they pack quite the sting and should not be paired with a non symbiont clown species.

ETA--

non symbionts....

ETA#2--

How wide is that tank?

x2 on the sting. I recall Jimbo ordering one for his 1000g system, we put it in the tank after acclimating it. It started heading for the back of the tank so I thought I would gently coax it to the front of the tank.....mistake.

Also x2 the condition in which they arrive. If I remember right, the first one arrived to John at Aqua Hut in near death condition. Knowing this, he offered Jimbo another for free if the original didn't make it. It didn't so he ordered another. That one did great.............until one of his maids closed the top canopy doors causing his tank to reach 90 degree temps for a day. Lost the malu along with approx. 10-15k in fish and coral.

Moral of the story: don't buy a h. malu.

12 hours ago, Bob Loblaw said:

ETA#2--

How wide is that tank?

it says online that its 20.5" x 7.5" x 11.6" high. so 7.5.

last night i fitted the new light. its a fluval sea pro led. i used it for a while on my first tank. grew things OK. i had a piece of garf bonsai that survived under the light but eventually died because i couldnt keep nutrients in check. montis did well though.

12 hours ago, Bob Loblaw said:

ETA--

non symbionts....

is this true for all though? ac has a pair of percs hosting rbta

where was john getting them? cause i think i like the h. malu a little more.. idk

when im ready ill most likely see what joeys distributors have and what he thinks aswell. this wont be after fragniappe. this weekend will be too expensive. finally taking home a fish i had ordered and a nice size colony:)

Edited by ZackTheReefer

58 minutes ago, ZackTheReefer said:

it says online that its 20.5" x 7.5" x 11.6" high. so 7.5.

last night i fitted the new light. its a fluval sea pro led. i used it for a while on my first tank. grew things OK. i had a piece of garf bonsai that survived under the light but eventually died because i couldnt keep nutrients in check. montis did well though.

is this true for all though? ac has a pair of percs hosting rbta

There are exceptions. I've seen rbta host perc and ocellaris but they typically don't 

It's not a rule it's nature. In the wild, certain nems only host certain species of clowns. Mixing "symbiont species"-naturally found together- will result in almost instant hosting without risk of predation. Mixing non-symbionts-- species not naturally occurring in nature-- and it's a crapshoot whether the clowns will find the nem. There is also a high risk of predation when more aggressive species of host nem are concerned.

BTAs host 14 species of clowns and Occys are not one of them. Occys only natural symbionts are Gigs, Mags, and Merts. There is a chance a BTA will host an Occy but the odds are just as likely that the clowns will be hosted by a powerhead or algae scraper. BTAs are the least aggressive of the host nems so if it does host a non symbiont, the chance of predation are low..

Non-symbiont Occy with H cripsa--

happyfamily_zpsee6c1732.jpg

Female Occy at deaths door after the being stungstungclown_zps685f09a8.jpg

Maroons with a Haddoni- It ate both of them about 3 months later

Symbiont Gig + Occys. been together for years

• Like 1

very good points bob. i havnt really looked into nems before except for the btas and rock flowers i have.. but ive been doing some research today. mostly sebae and lta. 

29 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

This is going to make a host nem a difficult option.

im seeing lots of quite large ones.. do you think that this is even possible with this tank? i plan to have this tank up for the next year and a half. at that point we would be moving and have space for a larger tank for it. 

thats not a bad idea. ac has been getting them recently. theres this supercolored red one he got in last week. but i didnt want to take too much space up with nems in the display.

277023291968a983bdc4469c0014e019.jpg

fist pic on google. but im afraid the lights on the tank wont show much color. its super white

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kirk_m said:

wow, where are those from?

i have no idea. i searched on google and found this pic. but it really made me like the idea! its going to be difficult to find the cooler ones and expensive. lol

so 2 weeks ago i spoke to joey about a few of the plans i had for this tank. we talked about rock flowers sebaes, ltas and s. haddoni. he was pulling more for the haddoni, so i told him to check with his distributors to see what they had. while at fragniappe, i received a picture of the nem that had arrived. i went in sunday to check him out in person. as far as i could tell  and the research i have been doing, he looked pretty good. joey and i were both pretty stoked as we did not know what condition the nem would arrive in. i took him home that night and this is him as of last night

IMG_9989_zpshu059n2o.jpg

IMG_9990_zpshn0grteq.jpg

he was sticky when putting him in the tank. he also burrowed his foot into the sand grabbing the glass, which from research is a good sign correct? mouth is not gaping. and since the first day of him getting in his spot, he hasnt moved much. which i am assuming he likes the light/spot. i actually fed him last night a small amount of rods food. but what i am reading today says that i should wait untill hes fully acclimated? a little concerned as of late this morning though. at 5 am i went to grab a sip of water and check on him, fully inflated more so than ever i believe. went back to bed. and before work about 9. i checked on him again to find him sucked uphalf way, like he was trying to eat something almost. mouth was slightly open, looked like he was sticking his white tongue out. at 11, the gf gave me an update and sent a pic. mouth closed but body laying flat. and not as large as he was. and secreting "semen" she says lol... i was reading that this could be normal behavior of newly acclimated nems. so idk if im just overacting or what.  also grabbed the quickesst test i could do before work which was ammonia. tested no traceable ammonia in the water. ill do a quick water change tonight anyway though. any input/pointers, things i should watch for @Bob Loblaw, @btingle85

also switched the light out for another stronger led. its on 12 hours. ramping up from 1% blue to 100 then whites ramp up, then down. blues ramp down to 1% and stays at 1% all night. should i change this so he can get a full dark night? also my plan is for a weekly wc, possibly biweekly for the first few weeks. i can easily do 20%, 50%, or even 75% weekly? what do you think?

all in all im very excited with this guy! hoping everything goes well with him, if not, i would not hesitate to put him in the 125

Edited by ZackTheReefer

8 minutes ago, ZackTheReefer said:

and secreting "semen" she says lol.

While it's possible it's just spawning for the hell of it, I highly doubt it. Stress spawn usually means death is imminent. I would pull and treat.

Yeah, usually not a good idea to feed them right away. He could possibly be regurgitating what you fed him. I don't have any personal experience with this species so I'll let Jordan give his thoughts.

as far as water changes go, I'd stick to a pretty basic routine of around 20% weekly. 

Good looking nem.

ok ok. well ill give an update after work and see what happens. as far as the secreting "semen" i dont think she knows what its actually doing. from my understanding when s. haddoni secrets semen its more of a white cloud, that covers the tank? from what she described it was more like a regurgitation. and from what ive been reading, he could be expelling water and contaminants from the transfer tanks? could this be true? sht now im stressing for real.

wow thats cool. not cool that it was stressed but informative. i couldnt find too much on stress spawning of s. haddoni. mostly flower nems, which look like little white balls. is that yours? if so how is it doing?

its def not that^ and i talked to her again. she confirmed that she was just calling it semen and was nothing of the sort. she sent more pics cnat tell because blues are ramping up now, but it looks like he inflated all the way back up. she says his mouth is open slightly but reatracting the white "tongue" i spoke of(what is the actual name for this? or is it just his mouth?) she says he looks normal and im just a worry wort:banghead: ill do the wc this evening and just continue to watch him the next few days. when should i continue with feeding?