RedStickReefer

What Salt?

47 posts in this topic

Just curious what salt is everyone using these days and why?  Salinity worked well for me for the last 5 or so years, but after talking to Eric this weekend (and I agree with him) it doesn't seem to store well and leaves a white crusty residue.  It worked well for me for mixing up a small batch on a weekend for a monthly water change, but in the near future I'll likely be storing a large volume for an extended period.  What's your recommendation and why?

I'll be giving Fritz RPM a try when I'm ready to mix up another batch.  I'll have to thoroughly clean the crud out my SW holding tank and pump before the switch though.

We used it for Fragniappe this year and mixed clear in less than an hour.  

I saw their booth at Fragniappe, but didn't get a chance to speak to them.  I wanted to take in all the corals before Erica was ready to go. 😀 Looks like a pretty good salt.  I like that they're blended in small batches with dedicated equipment.

Salinity has been getting some bad reviews of metal in there salt. People been running a magnet through it and pulling out metal shavings. I'd stay away from it. I have been using aquaforest probiotic for the last ten months or so. I have nothing but good things to say about it. Alk runs around 7.7 usually,cal 430 or so. And I think around 1350 mag. Pretty close to natural sea water. 

Holy crap... I haven't heard this about the metal particles.  Interested to see what info I can find out there about that. 

Now that you say it, I remember you mentioning you were using that probiotic salt at fragniappe.

For well over a decade I used Oceanic salt. Practically nobody used it but I loved it and had great results all around over the years. It's about two years now since it has been discontinued though. 

Right now I am searching for my next Oceanic.....

I have been trying various salts lately. I should say that most of what goes into my selection if how well it mixes. I tried the Salinity and it was a messy mix. I've tried "good ole Instant Ocean" and it's just better off in other people's tanks. I've done the Aquaforest "Reef Salt" for the past six months and have had the worst algae problems I have ever had. Maybe it's just super loaded with nutrients....... Mixes clear quickly though.

I'm going to try Fritz RPM next. 400+ gallons of saltwater mixed for Fragniappe was done an hour or so before setup time and it was pristine! And passed all the critiques of the vendors too. First year we had zero complaints about the water. That speaks volumes.  

• Like 1

I tried the Aquaforest stuff.  It mixed fast, but, alk, cal, and mag were too low for my liking.  Didn't see the "polyp explosion" the vendor that was giving it way kept raving about seeing with a water change.  Exactly the opposite...everything closed up.

Fritz was too inconsistent the last time I used it (about 7 months or so ago, when I was in a pinch, I picked some up).  It's always been that way, ever since their first production run that was horrible and named something else.  Mixes quickly, but, my tank didn't like it, and parameters varied too much from mix to mix.

ESV is still my go-to.  The only problem with it is that it has become hideously expensive just in the last two years.  It used to be $85 for 200 gallons of mix.  Now it's $120!  That's a 50% increase in cost.

Edited by kirk_m

I remember your post about the fritz salt you tried a while back kirk, and the ESV salt was actually first on the list in my mind when I made this post.  Thanks for the info!

Edited by RedStickReefer
Grammar

1 minute ago, Dave said:

Kirk have you tried the Fritz salt?

Yes, as in the post before this one...I bought a bucket in a pinch about 7 months ago.  I'm pretty sure it left a heavy white residue in my freshly cleaned out mixing vat...but I can't remember for sure. 

Red Sea was awful as well.  Algae went into high gear when I used it for about 2 months.

31 minutes ago, kirk_m said:

ESV is still my go-to.  The only problem with it is that it has become hideously expensive just in the last two years.  It used to be $85 for 200 gallons of mix.  Now it's $120!  That's a 50% increase in cost.

BALLER

I used salinity for years with great results however I had a tank crash and I couldn't figure out why. I started testing and found that they changed the formula and my alk went down to 3.5. So I just finished using the last bit of it and switched to Aquaforest Probiotic salt. The first water change was this past weekend and so far I like it. I was happy with all of the levels and how it mixed. I will see how my tank takes to it in the next month or so. 

Edited by Checkitout

This must've been what happened to my tank...my SPS all got suddenly PISSED and I couldn't figure out why.  Then multiple whole large colonies that had always done well, like the blue matrix, just rtn'd and it was pretty catastrophic.  I was left with ZOA's and my LPS.  I didn't know they changed the formula and I didnt test my water change water, because measured and did my water changes exactly the same way every time and it always worked out fine....damn.  Speculation at this point, but I've been wondering for a while now what heck happened.  Does anyone know about when they changed the formula?  I'd be interested in finding out if it was around the time my tank suddenly took a nose dive.

Fritz is much improved, IMO. I've used it twice now on my tank and both times it mixed clear in 30-40 minutes, tested 9.3 dkh and 430 Cal. Used it for Fragniappe, 450gallons crystal clear in less than an hour. 

Ive used salinity for the past 3 years, and have noticed a huge alk drop in the tanks I use it in, so I've been looking for a new brand to use.  At fragniappe, Mark Callahan said he's been using Tropic Marin for years, so I looked into that brand and the levels seem to be pretty decent.. I'm considering giving that a shot and the fritz salt since I've heard a lot of good things about it.  

Edited by Jrodinnola

+1 on the fritz. all my lfs uses. so its all i use. i maybe store it for a week at a time. im looking into getting a brute can so we will see how the longer term strage does. at the moment im using the aqua forest salt from fragniappe. ive done 2 wc on the 125 so far. and every day on the nano. mixes clear fast. was able to match my levels easily. but im pretty sure ill be back to fritz after these buckets are gone.

Good old Instant Ocean. $40 for a 200 gal box from the Docs. Been using it for years and if it ain't broke... I dabbled with the expensive mixes years back and never saw any difference other than a lighter wallet.

• Like 3

When I found they changed the formula without any kind of notice and I lost 70% of my sps I was pissed. Why mess with a good thing. If the Aquaforest Probiotic does not pan out for me I plan on going with Tropic Marin or Fritz. 

I had the same problem with Tropic Marin Pro years ago. Low alk, down in the five range. Lost some SPS colonies. Seems there is more and more reefers complaining about low alk in most salt mixes. I'm beginning to think go with IO, and dose it to you liking. You're gonna have to do it with the expensive salt anyways. Those 200 gal boxes weigh 61 lbs. I like the fact that it will get delivered to your front porch. No bad IMO

• Like 1

I remember trying Tropic Marin back before going with Salinity.  Had the cloudy as crap mixing with the Red Sea after going through a couple of buckets, so I tried TM.  Alk was fine on first bucket, then alk tanked on 2nd one a month or so later.  Was right about the time Salinity hit the market, so I switched to that and stuck with it until lately.  Was going through the garage the other day and realized I still have an unopened big bucket of Salinity...  Not sure what to do about that if I end up switching...

Dump it in a bigger container, mix it thoroughly with a large magnet to remove all the metal particles, use it to start your tank while there's no livestock in it, dose to your liking, and done! Lol

I use to use TM only for years but I had an issue with a bucket with alk in the fives. From there I used red Sea until switching to aquaforest.