kirk_m

Cable housings on aquarium equipment

If you've been in this hobby for any length of time, you surely have noticed that the housings on cables to power heads, pumps, heaters, probes, etc., will, over time, start to become very stiff in the portion of the cable that has been exposed to salt water.  The rest of the cable retains its initial pliability.  I'm sure that this has to be unsafe, as those portions of the cable that stiffen are more likely to develop cracks, which then allow water inside the cable to break down the housings on the inner cables.  I had an apparently intact Aquamedic pump that is 10 years old shock me a month ago when I was using it to mix new salt water in my mixing vat.  Other than the end of the cable nearest the pump feeling stiff, nothing else looked to be wrong with it, but, I still wound up throwing it out.   Is there any way to protect the submerged ends of cords from the effects of salt water?  Maybe putting silicone O-ring grease on them?  Thoughts, anyone?

I wonder if it's the sheathing of the wire getting stiff or if it's the actual wire getting stuff. I would guess the latter. 

The plastic coating on the outside gets hard. It also looses it's r value the harder it gets. This allows it to over heat and eventually crack. This allows water and salt to get in and the corrosion compromises the wire. This is similar to what happens to a/c wires when the burn out. 

I guess it would to some extent but I've been using the plastic tubing stuff for car engines that goes over the wires to change colors and such. They have the split down the middle to cover the wire. It can go under water too.