kirk_m

Filter socks

I hate them with a passion.  I can't stand cleaning them, so, I don't use them.  But, since breaking down my 120 and putting everything into the holding tubs, I decided to try some kind of mechanical filtration.  I ordered, instead of the felt bags, the 10 micron MESH socks from Premium Aquatics, and, have been impressed.  They filter most all the particulates that I can physically see and they are EASY to clean. A quick rinse in the sink while rubbing the sides of the sock together, and, they're almost good as new. They also don't seem to clog up as easily.  I've run one for over a week now, and, just changed it today.  

I made the switch to mesh myself a couple of months ago and my felt socks have been crammed in the corner of my closet ever since :)  It takes so much less effort to clean and I've found that mesh also doesn't clog, which can cause sump water lvl fluctuations or even water overflow.

Anything's an improvement. I hadn't used one in years and hadn't cleaned my sump in probably 4 years. I had a 1/2-3/4" layer of "mud" in all compartments when I broke it down. Must have been what made the tank successful, lol.

I have 200 micron mesh. Going to have to order these 10 micron. I couldnt find anything better than 200 when I ordered them a year ago.

I use filter pads with a spray bar. Filter pads are supported by egg crate and thrown out when clogged. 

20170507_102807_zpsyghd5ly2.jpg

7 hours ago, stoned said:

I use filter pads with a spray bar. Filter pads are supported by egg crate and thrown out when clogged. 

And, I'll be copying this on my new tank's sump.  I can't stand messing with socks.

On 5/6/2017 at 7:05 AM, Bob Loblaw said:

Mesh doesn't catch nearly as much, gonna end up with a dirty sump.

You're spot on with that Bob Loblaw. Filter socks catch gook I didn't know existed :P but that might not always be what you want. For my sps heavy mixed tank, for example, I hover just above ULNS parameters with about 2 nitrate and .04 phosphate. I think that switching to the mesh from felt allowed me to keep those slightly elevated nutrients levels. So I guess it just depends what you're going for. Downside to this is that I do, in fact, have to clean my sump much more often haha. but I also have a more consistent sump water level bc I don't get the clogging like I did with felt.  On that note, I have four 200 micron felt socks up for trade for a frag  heh heh

TLDR: Theres more than one way to skin a cat ;)

On 5/7/2017 at 10:29 AM, stoned said:

20170507_102807_zpsyghd5ly2.jpg

@stoned Can you go into a little more detail? How that's plumbed, what the bottom of that sump compartment looks like, etc?

14 hours ago, Reef Tank Greg said:

@stoned Can you go into a little more detail? How that's plumbed, what the bottom of that sump compartment looks like, etc?

The spray is the drain from the display. The filter pads sit on egg crate. I don't remember what holds the egg crate off the bottom, but the egg crate can be removed. 

I know you're set on the mesh socks, but fwiw I've noticed that washing felt filter socks with hydrogen peroxide makes them clog less than when I used to wash them with bleach or just straight water.  It used to be that I had to change the felt filter socks daily, but they now last me roughly 5-6 days before becoming clogged.  I change them twice a week, so they're never clogged by the time I go to change them now.  

Edited by Coral Cove NOLA