Mobilecal

Possible ICECAP Sump Problems!! Need Suggestions.

Hey guys, looking for some opinions here.. I am having some major concerns because I bought this sump at the fragnaippe show and have been ever so careful with the sump. Now I am seeing what looks like salt creep around the bottom edges. I have no idea where its coming from unless the saltwater is permeating through the plexiglass or if there is a micro leak somewhere. 

Problem is this, There is "absolutely" no way to remove the sump from the bottom of the cabinet because it barely fit from the rear. I would have to tear down the entire tank to remove it and thats not an options. 

So I am looking for some serious opinions, suggestions, know problems with ice cap, etc... Thanks in advance for your thoughts... 

David

Pics? Any splashing down there? I have a fair amount of salt buildup in my stand from water changes, filter sock changing, and good ole splashing/bubbles popping.

7CF99315-125F-40D8-99BD-A9B74D41A519_zps

NO splashing from anywhere.. Everything is really dry, Its almost like it is coming from around the entire base.. But there are absolutely no cracks..

I've had a little water spill next to my sump and then works it way underneath it, but it's never left any salt residual behind after its dried up... That's what had me worried about this...

One way to figure out if it is the sumps perimeter leaking or seeping is to clean it all up and then dry it out with a hair dryer.  Once it's dry then stuff some rolled up brown paper towels next to it all the way around. If water is coming through or from under it then it'll darken the brown paper towels.

OR you could un-hook tank from it and add food coloring to the water inside the sump. If it's getting on the outside the salt creep should be that color.  

• Like 3

I am curious about something...do you have the sump sitting on the floor of the stand, or, do you have some kind of foam board under it?  If directly on the floor of the stand, is the floor perfectly smooth and level, providing support of the entire bottom of the sump and not just on corners, etc.?

17 minutes ago, kirk_m said:

I am curious about something...do you have the sump sitting on the floor of the stand, or, do you have some kind of foam board under it?  If directly on the floor of the stand, is the floor perfectly smooth and level, providing support of the entire bottom of the sump and not just on corners, etc.?

good question. It is sitting directly on the floor bottom. Before I sat the sump in, I used a level to ensure the flooring was completely level and it was. Also the epoxy was poured which leveled out great, so no unevenness un the flooring. 

I second mknightryder paper towel method to find the leak. If anything, a dab of silicone should fix the problem.

The only thing I'm not keen on is using a hair dryer that close to acrylic. I'd use a shop vac with the skinniest attachment you can get and have it pull any moisture out from under the sump instead and then use the paper towels for capillary action to draw anything else out. Then I'd just use a fan to evaporate any other moisture, and then do the paper towel and/or food coloring trick Mike recommended.

I dried everything real good and tried the brown paper.. I am getting this "ever so slightly" dampness on the paper towel.. I have even tried using a flashlight to look at all the joints where I can, and I just don't see air or gaps... no water droplets, just salt buildup..

Any chance it's coming from the back of the sump and being drawn to the front via capillary action?

10 minutes ago, kirk_m said:

Any chance it's coming from the back of the sump and being drawn to the front via capillary action?

Its a good questions.. Today I was going to remove all of the storage from the the area and really give it a look.. I'll report what I find..

1 minute ago, Mobilecal said:

Its a good questions.. Today I was going to remove all of the storage from the the area and really give it a look.. I'll report what I find..

Can you fit a hand mirror back there to look with a flashlight?  Might save you from having to pull it all out.

Must be a very small leak for the water to evaporate and just leave salt. Make sure it is not splash from something else. If not, I would just pull it out and reseal it. While it is still clean. You may find it inspecting it where the spot is not bonded well. 

54 minutes ago, stoned said:

Must be a very small leak for the water to evaporate and just leave salt. Make sure it is not splash from something else. If not, I would just pull it out and reseal it. While it is still clean. You may find it inspecting it where the spot is not bonded well. 

Problem is I can't pull it out now that the tank is set up...