Sign in to follow this  
Macsdaddy

Overrun with RBTA

22 posts in this topic

My RBTAs will not stop splitting and I need to get rid of some of them. Anybody need one? $20 each

91a61574537b7917c4a843dc7b139fe4.jpg

• Like 2

What causes them to split? And, do they do this once they reach a certain size? I just purchased a small live rock with two attached, and they've both relocated once put in my tank. They aren't very big, but they are the 1st nems I've given a chance. I outed a LTA after it trying to assassinate all of my fish.

• Like 1

What causes them to split? And, do they do this once they reach a certain size? I just purchased a small live rock with two attached, and they've both relocated once put in my tank. They aren't very big, but they are the 1st nems I've given a chance. I outed a LTA after it trying to assassinate all of my fish.

Not sure what causes it. Some say they split when they are happy. Some say they split when they are not. I assume mine are happy since they not only split but grow like crazy. I started with 1 about 1-2 inches across in December. Now I have 5. The biggest 1 is probably 4-5 inches.

• Like 1

Yes I do. Pm me with a # and a time we can get together to make the trade. When I get home, I'll send some close ups of the two that I am able to get to and you can pick one.

These are the two I think I can get out without damaging the foot.

8b5cd19cf351b71630bf255110758444.jpg

86bb872eeb877f313b55ad90d7568eb2.jpg

• Like 1

Ok. So I have tried unsuccessfully multiple times to remove these guys from the rock in order to give them a new home and I had another one split today. Now I have six. I NEED to figure out a way to get rid of at least half of them since they are taking over my tank. I have tried pointing a powerhead at one of them for a few days, but that only made it mad- that's the one that ended up splitting.
Does anybody have any tricks they could share?
@bob loblaw - Jordan, I hear you're the nem guru. You got any ideas?

You can try the ice cube in a ziplock trick but I've never actually seen that work. Less viable option than the powerhead imo. A pump with laminar flow aimed at the crevice where the foot is hidden will work better than a powerhead with turbulent flow. Likely outcome is that it will move to another crevice out of the flows path while you're not looking. Repeat until you can access the base of the foot.

I dealt with the same thing in my old 90 and said eff it-- Pulled rock + hammer + screw driver = they're easy to remove. If they have their foot safely secured in a hole you'll never be able to manually remove them w/o breaking the rock or damaging the nem. They can survive pretty some serious damage though.

Thanks for the help Jordan. I'll try a different pump since the one I was using was definitely turbulent flow.

So I finally caught one of the clones post split before it was able to attach itself to anything.  It's a small one, but I still need to get rid of it.  Any takers?

IMG_2443.JPG

Ok. So I know I have teased a couple people (@jacob Allen ,@saltyfish808) with my posts about trying to get rid of some of these nems and have not followed through due to not being able to get any of them free from the rocks. But I have finally come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to part with a favorite rock in order to get rid of some nems. I have a sweet piece of rock with 3 very nice nems attached that I want to get rid of to make some room in my tank. I'd like to get $75 for it , but will entertain offers.
75b5005ae2c30e9e8553b5bcb18cd8c0.jpg

Ok. So I know I have teased a couple people (@jacob Allen ,[mention=204]saltyfish808[/mention]) with my posts about trying to get rid of some of these nems and have not followed through due to not being able to get any of them free from the rocks. But I have finally come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to part with a favorite rock in order to get rid of some nems. I have a sweet piece of rock with 3 very nice nems attached that I want to get rid of to make some room in my tank. I'd like to get $75 for it , but will entertain offers.
75b5005ae2c30e9e8553b5bcb18cd8c0.jpg

Play with the foot of the nem like keep touching and rubbing it and it will get irritated and detached will take 15-30 mins lol but keep rubbing it and it'll come off your rock but I'll be happy to take a nem for $20 if it's close to nola

That's the thing. I like the rock too much to break it up. I'd rather someone else have it than break it.

Bump
I know I recently got undersold by somebody else giving these away, but I really need the room that this rock is taking up.
$30 for a really nice piece of rock with 3 RBTAs on it.

i will take one but it will be next week before i can get it because of my work schedule. unless you are in the br area this weekend.

The three I have left are firmly attached to a rock, so I won't be able to sell them until I can get them off. Stay tuned