Sign in to follow this  
Reef Tank Greg

Welcome Brandon (saltyfish808) to our staff!

Everyone,

Please join us in welcoming Brandon (saltyfish808) to the Bayou Reefkeeping Staff!

It goes without saying that Brandon is a dedicated hobbyist as just about all of us have admired his 600 Gallon Build. He is now looking to extend that dedication to BRK too! Be on the lookout soon for some exciting opportunities as he starts to take the reigns here with some key aspects of the club!

Here is Brandon's staff bio!

Brandon May (saltyfish808)

Hello all, my name is Brandon and I'm a reef addict! I was born in 1980 in Metairie, Louisiana.  I have lived in Louisiana all of my life. I have lived in Kenner, Ponchatoula, Hammond, Robert, Covington, and now currently reside in Abita Springs. I am married and recently have just had my first child. I have been a avid fish keeper for almost 20 years and don't see that streak coming to a close anytime soon!

I graduated from high school in 98 and went into start my culinary career and at 21 I was a a Sous chef at a 4star restaurant. When I was 24 I was offered a job in New Orleans to be a chef and open up a restaurant. Later that year Katrina hit, flooded the restaurant and destroyed my new home I had bought in Covington. Over the next few months I rebuilt my home myself and took a new path in carpentry which I enjoyed a lot more than the long hours of a restaurant.

When I was younger I had a bunch of allergies that kept me from having traditional pets such as dogs and cats. I really didn't have any pets till I was about 9 when I received a snake from my uncle for my birthday.  Within a couple of years I had 10 snakes which made my small bedroom as a child look like a pet shop. I was forced to give up my snakes after my 8 foot red tail boa got out of his cage and ended up in my mother's bed. I didn't get another pet till I was 18.

I started my aquarium journey in 1998 with a 10 gallon fresh water tank. Even with this little tank I was always in some lfs looking around. It didn't take long for me to upgrade to a 30 gallon freshwater tank which I thought was a huge back then. Within a couple months I felt I had mastered the freshwater. For a birthday gift I was given a 55 gallon tank, which at this point I could not keep my eyes off the saltwater section of the lfs I frequented. So needless to say, there was no way I was going to start another freshwater tank. 

That first tank was rough, I learned a lot from trial and error. Soon after I found my first all Saltwater store and began getting good advice and direction from the owner, who is still a good friend today. The 55 turned into a 90. The 90 turned into a 125. The 125 turned in a 225 with a 90 and a 80. The addiction was real and created the 600 gallon monster that I built in my home a couple of years ago!

Welcome!

I have serious tank envy when I look at your build thread. Can I bring my wife to your restaurant and get you to help me talk her in to one like yours?

• Like 1

:welcomeconfetti:, Brandon.  We had a great time at the boil you hosted a couple years ago and your tank and system is awesome!  Nice meeting you again at the boil this year at Adam's.  Looking forward to seeing your tank and fish room again in person.  I need the motivation...