southern186

Filtration question for sump..

8 posts in this topic

This may be a dumb question....has anyone used lava rock or can you use lave rock for a substitute rock media in your sump?cb990c774024b1599549c122094781e0.jpg

You don't need rock media in your sump. It is only going to collect detritus and end up as a nasty mess. Keep the rock in your display. If you must have something in your sump, chaeto seems to work well enough for most folks. I've never put any kind of macro in a sump.

Why wouldn't you put rock in the sump to catch the detritus before it goes back in to the return area of the sump? The sumps functionality is to trap all waste and nutrients before entering back to the DT.

"When lava is underground in its molten state it is called magma. As it reaches the ground, and air, it is called lava. Once lava begins to harden it can turn into a variety of shapes and colors. The color of lava depends on the temperature of the flow as well as the chemical composition and any IMPURITIES that are in the liquid rock."

http://www.instanthawaii.com/cgi-bin/hi?Volcano.types

I'd use the ceramic media instead of the lava rock, as it is far more inert.  But, as others have said, use that media after some other form of filtration, like socks or filter pads, so less detritus settles out into it.  The first compartment of a sump is the settlement area...you want to keep the detritus confined to that area.  It's a lot easier to vacuum it all out when you don't have a bunch of rocks in there.

• Like 1

I have used lava rock in my display, a long time ago before live rock became in vogue. So if your question is can you use it, the answer is yes. Live rock or dead live rock is a better alternative, though. It is made from the same thing reefs are made of, and lighter than lava rock (more porous). I also agree that there is no good reason to put rock in the sump. Just makes the sump harder to clean.

Edited by 110reef