Luke

What size plumbing to use?

7 posts in this topic

So I am setting up a tank with a sump. I've only ever used hang on the back filters prior to this. How am I supposed to know what size supply and what size drain from the tank to the sump to use? I will be running a sicce 3.0, which is 714 gph pump. And what type of plumbing is standard? Is it just black pvc?

Is the tank drilled? If so, what size plumbing will the bulkhead accept?

for return plumbing, you just go with whatever the outlet of the pump is. White PVC from the hardware store is standard and works fine. Colored pvc is expensive and unnecessary unless you want to be fancy and have money to burn. 

Jay! Thanks for the replies. I will be buying a new acrylic tank that I will be drilling and setting up with an overflow. So as of now, it's still open to discussion as to what sizes are best. (Unless I can find a used drilled acrylic tank between 30-50 gal) If I recall, they said to use a 1"supply pipe on my pump. But I'm unsure as to what size drain line will handle 700 gph free flow. Does 1" sound right?Like I said in my previous post, I've been out of this for a long time. So I'm trying to get caught up with the way things are done today. And once I finalize my plan, the whole setup will be installed within a few days, so I'm trying to make sure that I get it right the first time. And then I'll be looking for help with the fun stuff- sand and rock

I'd do 1" return, 1.25" drain. And do two drain lines if you're doing it yourself. Redundancy is ALWAYS good on a drain in case one gets clogged. 

Exactly what I was looking for! And good point about the drain. Are you saying to do 2 bulk heads, or just 1 bulkhead and a Y off of it? It would make more sense to have 2 bulkheads, but is it ok to have 2 holes drilled?

Two bulkheads for drain. One for return. Three holes total in the tank. You can tie the drains together farther down the plumbing. But at the tank you want two in case one clogs for some stupid reason.