saltyfish808

Diy chaeto reactor

42 posts in this topic

Ok, maybe not a complete diy, but i have an old bio pellet reactor that i think might work. This would be for my 125 that i use for a frag tank. I was think of wrapping this in red and blue grow led strip. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I have been wanting to have a fuge on this tank, but because i have this laying around, i figured it would be at least a good experiment.

20170807_185652.jpg

Edited by saltyfish808

I've done it with my current biopellet reactor and works well. Harvest ~2 weeks, the strips are only $15(?) on amazon. 3:1 red:blue.

Some TLF that are new seem to be made thinner so they scratch/crack. I used an older model and it was fine.

On 8/7/2017 at 6:38 PM, ihigh said:

I've done it with my current biopellet reactor and works well. Harvest ~2 weeks, the strips are only $15(?) on amazon. 3:1 red:blue.

Some TLF that are new seem to be made thinner so they scratch/crack. I used an older model and it was fine.

I made an account on this forum just so I can comment on this. I bought 2017 production TLF phosban 150 and within 1 month of use, it has definitely cracked on me. It began as some hairline scratches and eventually began to leak some water.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

That's exactly what happened to me. If I was to do it again I would buy some clear acrylic rods and glue them around the reactor. That way the strips don't actually touch the reactor. 

So Jerry,  y0u think the light strips where the cause of the cracking? And do you think an inch of space is enough to prevent it?

Most definitely the reason. Everywhere there was a led i got a small crack on the reactor. I think it was because it was touching it. I think one inch  would be plenty. 

Finally got the acrylic rods so I will be attempting this project soon. I have never really worked with acrylic before so I am kind of excited to mess with it.  This will be going on my 125 gallon frag system.

20170908_200314.jpg

20170908_200321.jpg

20170908_200350.jpg

20170908_203738.jpg

• Like 1

I have never messed with weld on before, so I played around with some scrap pieces of acrylic to get the hang of it. So after i made some random acrylic art, i attached the new base for the rods.4643.jpeg.6e27997e3d0d2e2bb9a463f262462f41.jpeg

20170913_211954.jpg

2 hours ago, lars said:

Following

Yeah me too! I put a ball of chaeto in my sump after Macna. Last night I was plumb disgusted with the way my sump looked. Had chaeto in every chamber, algae growing all over my used to be clean sump as well.  I figure I'll put the chaeto in a diy Reactor and be done with an ugly stanky sump! I have a Synergy SR1000 reactor in the closet! 

keep an eye on the lights. I think im at 6 months, my lights are dimmed out. I needed to order a new set.

2 hours ago, ihigh said:

keep an eye on the lights. I think im at 6 months, my lights are dimmed out. I needed to order a new set.

Are these the lights y'all have?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FHCD1Q0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1&th=1#

I had bookmarked these for some reason and was thinking someone used them for a diy reactor... these are warm white, but I'd imagine I could get them in 3 red to 1 blue if that'd be better...  I'm just making sure something equal to these or better would work...??? 300 lights is alot of lights to be wrapping around a small tube!! Lmao! :policered:.  

And @ihigh what brand did you go with the first time? I may try a different brand if they only lasted 6 months? That ain't bad considering they are dirt cheap and are on 24/7, but if I can find similar but different brand I'll guinne pig them so we will know... 

some cheap 3:1, not sure of the brand. They were on amazon, I just bought them to test how well the reactor would work.

works well, but getting a long lasting light is important lol

18 hours ago, mknightryder said:

Are these the lights y'all have?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FHCD1Q0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1&th=1#

I had bookmarked these for some reason and was thinking someone used them for a diy reactor... these are warm white, but I'd imagine I could get them in 3 red to 1 blue if that'd be better...  I'm just making sure something equal to these or better would work...??? 300 lights is alot of lights to be wrapping around a small tube!! Lmao! :policered:.  

And @ihigh what brand did you go with the first time? I may try a different brand if they only lasted 6 months? That ain't bad considering they are dirt cheap and are on 24/7, but if I can find similar but different brand I'll guinne pig them so we will know... 

I got mine on ebay

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/222541937568

Ok , finished putting the leds on. The light strip sits about 1 3/8 off of the cylinder. I hope this will be enough to keep the cylinder in good shape for a long term installation.

20170916_080202.jpg

20170916_080157.jpg

1505567306476261582271.jpg

25 minutes ago, saltyfish808 said:

I'm thinking of adding some type of vinyl wrap to keep light from bleeding into the room to much.

do you think the vinyl may melt, what about poster board?

36 minutes ago, Smtwinn said:

do you think the vinyl may melt, what about poster board?

I dont know if it will melt....... maybe some type of heat shrink wrap? Poster board might not take getting wet on occasion though.

I started my build for this a year ago. But stopped this gave me motivation to start mine again. Thanks for the idea. Should help me finish mine