saltyfish808

Diy chaeto reactor

42 posts in this topic

Do y'all think the acrylic rods are necessary on all reactors? I know the newer TLF reactors were a problem... I didn't want to gimp my pretty Synergy reactor up if it isn't needed... Rick told me they don't make the SMR 2500 reactor no more, so I might be able to sell it one day as an ULTRA rare Super Duper Special  like @Reef Tank Greg gear Junkie enthusiasts just gotta have it deal... 

I'd imagine the rods do help make it easier to get the leds spread out evenly around the reactor and mounted. Plus, it prolly helps dissipate heat away from the leds...  :shrug: I dunno. I either by some rods and leds OR buy a AS-2 scrubber from 302 aquatics... 

https://www.302aquatics.net/  

issue is a scrubber is large and hard to place properly in some stands.

probably dont need the rods on most reactors, but does dissipate heat so theres that benefit. I don't have one on the reactor (avast marine) I use and its perfectly fine.

• Like 1

Looks good, another idea popped in my head after seeing your photo. You could use a black 5g bucket to help with light wash. Maybe cut a lid so that it slips over the top.

2 hours ago, Smtwinn said:

Looks good, another idea popped in my head after seeing your photo. You could use a black 5g bucket to help with light wash. Maybe cut a lid so that it slips over the top.

I am not as worried about light leaking into the room because its in the tank room. I painted the side of the ato tank black to keep light from getting into the sump side and my calcium reactor sits on a acrylic plate . If you look in the picture its sandwiched.  This should keep the light out . 

Edited by saltyfish808

2 hours ago, mknightryder said:

Any noticeable growth yet @saltyfish808? I ordered the same lights over the weekend and looks like they shipped this morning! 

I see a little growth. I think im going to add a couple spacers in the reactor to space out the chaeto a bit in the reactor.

DIY chaeto reactor complete! :partydance: Now I just need some chaeto... I picked up a softball sized piece at MACNA, but it's about the size of a ping pong ball now. Maybe! :rollingyellow:I used the same lights as @saltyfish808 in my build. I had a synergy sm2500 reactor lying around and tons of pipe! I used a piece of 8" sewer pipe to use as a sleeve to block light spill and to mount the leds to. The pipe was green so I hit it with some white spray paint inside and out. In order to get it tall enough to gravity drain back into my sump it needed a stand. I used a 6" sewer cap to set the reactor on. Pending how hot it gets inside of the pipe, I might install a pc fan on the top blowing down across the reactor/lights and out the bottom vent holes I drilled into the pipe. All in all, this was a cheap DIY project and it was fun. I was on the fence about buying or building an algae scrubber.. I have everything but the lights to build a scrubber. I figure i will try the reactor out first and see what all the Buzz is about. I'm hoping this addition will help me balance my nutrients out a little better. 

20171014_004619.jpg

20171014_004749.jpg

20171014_004649.jpg

20171014_004639.jpg

20171014_004806.jpg

On 11/23/2017 at 4:47 PM, Phatboy said:

Updates on this? 

I haven't got around to getting a decent sized amount of chaeto to try. I did put a golf ball sized piece in it, but after two weeks the slime/hair algae over took it... 

Been hunting too hard in multiple states to give a hoot about the tank. Just been letting it do it's thing...

20171105_184142.jpg

Well after having three nice balls of luscious green chaeto whither away and basically get smothered out by hair algae in the reactor, I started wondering what it could be. My tank has had elevates Nitrates the entire time, so I don't think it's from lack of nutrients. I've tried 12hr, 18hr, and even a 24hr photoperiod with no luck. I've tried changing the flow rate through the reactor as well. No dice... I started thinking that maybe it was from the lack of Iron or another trace element. I ordered some if these trace elements, but chickened out on dosing them until I can test each of them...  I did have a thought cross my mind last week that maybe the light just isn't strong enough? After seeing tons of success stories with similar strip lights it never occurred to me to check... Well I did and I was like, "WTF"!!! I stuck my Biotek par meter sensor down inside the reactor tube and at the very best, I'm getting a whooping 15 umol ! :rolling: So instead of throwing all this shat out in the backyard, I ordered another 15ft of cool white leds to see if that'l do it. I just have to put them in the tube one evening. If this don't work I'm going back to having an ugly refugium in my sump with a par38 bulb in a cheap reflector from the hardware store! 

@saltyfish808 how has your reactor been doing with those lights? 

20180205_211705.jpg

20180205_211710.jpg

Now i think we will have better luck at growing some chaeto!  

Getting alot more uumph out of the cool white strip. Going to run both strips for 12hrs and see what happens. Last pic is what the last two weeks of gha growth looked like on the chaeto. When I cleaned it last night there were tons of different size pods in it. I collected what I could and put them in my son's tank.  

20180207_205531.jpg

20180207_205539.jpg

20180207_213844.jpg

20180207_214028.jpg

Got some pretty decent growth the past 20 or so days now that there is enough light to grow chaeto! I noticed my Po4 has been staying around 0.03 the past two weeks, so I'll pull the GFO off-line. The last time I changed it was at the end of Jan, so I'd imigane the 16 TBLSP in the reactor has been used up and the chaeto absorbed the rest. I'll test my No3 this evening to see if it is dropping as well... Still getting hair algae growth inside the chaeto reactor, but nowheres else in the tank so that's a plus! 

20180227_210443.jpg