Roid Reefs

New to the hobby

Hello everyone,

I am new to the hobby and in the process of planning/putting together a mixed reef tank. Have been interested for years and have been reading a lot in the last 6 months. Trying to do this on a budget but I'm not willing to wait to get what I need. I am located in the New Orleans area and am looking forward to getting into this hobby and doing it with my family.

I was going to start with a 40b for my first tank. I have the tank and stand along with an RO system. Although I saw a used deal on a 72 bowfront, stand, t5 lights, rock, sump, plumbing, heater, and pumps that if the seller doesn't sell it to someone else, I will be getting that at the end of the week (May try to reseal the aquarium just in case as it has been sitting over a year). With MACNA this weekend I was able to get about 75lbs of dry rock (mix of marco and artificial purple of different shapes, not sure of the brand) for an unbeatable price.  so I am slowly getting my equipment together.

Once im done with a  remodel of the house by the middle of next month, I will probably be setting it up and letting it begin to cycle. Plan to buy the live sand from lfs to help with the cycle. So hopefully if all goes well by the end of the year I will have an up and functioning beginning to a mixed reef tank.

• Like 1

Welcome to the hobby @Roid Reefs!:wavingblue: Get ready to become an addict! Lol ;) 

After my house flooded last August, I moved alot of my corals upstairs into several tanks. One of those tanks was a 40 breeder that I drilled, added an overflow box, and I used a Rubbermaid tote as a sump. I ran two sbreeflights basic models over it and two jebao rw8 power heads in it. My corals all doubled in size in the 8 month period they were in that 40b. Something about it that they liked. I hated taking them out once my 150 was ready to be re-filled down stairs. So with all that said, a 40b is a very nice size tank to start off with! It's big enough to help keep you parameters stable and on average. A 72g BF would be just as amazing I'd imagine.

The main thing to learn in this Hobby is Patience! Nothing happens over night! And we are all here to help, so ask any questions you might come up with. The only dumb question out there is one that is not asked! Learn about the big three which are alkalinity being #1, calcium #2, and magnesium #3 which is the glue that keeps one and two happy together. Happy reefing!!!! :thumbup:

I will definitely start a thread as my idea keeps changing. I have now purchased a 75g instead of the bowfront. The other seller backed out. So remodels on the house are coming to a close and should be done in the next few weeks. Needless to say I'm anxious to get the aquarium started. Hoping to have my first fish in around Christmas. 

• Like 1