Sign in to follow this  
mknightryder

Wi-Fi PTZ Cameras

Hey fellow reefers, I was wondering if any of y'all use any Wi-Fi or ip type cameras to check in on your pride and joy while away from it? I was leaning towards the Nest camera because of its great picture and ease of use, but they don't Pan or tilt... And since my sump is not under my tank, I'm going to need two cameras to truly check on things.. Two nest cams is costly! I'd like to be able to Pan, tilt, and zoom since I'm fixing to have two tanks running in my living room! 

I run an Apex, but since trying to get cameras to play nice with Fusion is a pain the a**,  I'd be fine just using the cameras app. To be able to stream live to the public would be nice if that's a safe option? I don't know much about that though. The main thing is I'd like to be able to clearly view the tank, the ato container beneath the tank, and my sump room while out of town. I've found where others have used cheaper versions of cams available, but I'd rather hear what members of our club is using! 

So what y'all know?!?!:P

Edited by mknightryder

One of the speakers at macna mentioned a camera he really liked. I can't remember who it was or what it was though. So I'm not very helpful. Lol

16 minutes ago, Jaytizzle said:

One of the speakers at macna mentioned a camera he really liked. I can't remember who it was or what it was though. So I'm not very helpful. Lol

:tappingfoot: ... Now go do this>>> :banghead:

So I went by best buy yesterday and looked at a few options available. Some of the same cameras I've been looking at on amazon were there, but marked up like 65% in cost... I think I'm just going to order one off the internet and try it out. I'd really like this set-up before Oct. 1, so I can enjoy myself this hunting season!!

I've used the Foscam IP cameras for a couple of years now. They work well but are not all that durable. After about 18 months they start failing and need to be replaced. I'd imagine all of the sub $100 options are going to be of similar quality.

50 minutes ago, Jaytizzle said:

I've used the Foscam IP cameras for a couple of years now. They work well but are not all that durable. After about 18 months they start failing and need to be replaced. I'd imagine all of the sub $100 options are going to be of similar quality.

I read that about the foscams. It's like when the new and improved model comes out they quit sending out firmware updates for the older model cams... I'd imagine that's how it'll be for the rest of them as well... I dunno I may just try an el'cheapo model and see how it goes. Maybe I can splurge and upgrade them later on.. I still wanna jump on 2 mp40qd's while they are on sale this month. Plus, I have to pick up a wxm module for my Apex to control them... 

I ended up purchasing an Amcrest 1080p Pro Hd Wi-Fi camera. Model # IP2M-841B. Out the box I had it connected to my home's network in minutes! You download their App from either the Apple Store or Google Play store. From there it's pretty much follow the directions. 

I did run into a few problems trying to set up the remote access. To view off of your home's network, you have to make an acct at www.amcrestview.com. Problem is this only works with Internet Explorer, Firefox, & Safari. Next, I had to install a plug-in for the web browser I used. This part is where I got hung up for awhile cause no matter how many times I tried to install the plug-in, it just wouldn't work. I finally got on their Forum and was able to find a remedy to my problems. I ended up learning a tad more about computers and software than I cared for, but hey it is what it is! Lol 

Anywho, I'm hoping this thing helps ease some of my worries while I'm outta town this hunting season. Having the Apex with Fusion is nice, but it does not let you see what is actually going on. I had an old tripod in the fish closet, so I mounted the camera to it. When I'm outta town, I'll just slide it over in front of the tank. I'm prolly going to pick up a second camera to watch the fish room where the sump and other equipment is. What's cool is that it will Pan, tilt, and zoom in on things. Plus, it has a Mic and speaker so I can talk back in forth with the tank-sitter. It has all kinds of other features I still need to figure out. I need to try to see if I can mess with the cams settings, so I can adjust the white balance etc.. If the camera is viewing the entire tank and stand then the pic looks great. If i zoom it in, so only the tank is in the frame, it makes the picture really pink. Hopefully, there is a way to adjust that, but if not it's not that big of a deal. 

20170916_151557.jpg

20170916144730.jpg

On 9/5/2017 at 8:21 AM, mknightryder said:

So I went by best buy yesterday and looked at a few options available. Some of the same cameras I've been looking at on amazon were there, but marked up like 65% in cost... I think I'm just going to order one off the internet and try it out. I'd really like this set-up before Oct. 1, so I can enjoy myself this hunting season!!

Best Buy does price match. Just show the cashier the lower price on your phone.

I've been wanting to get a camera also to go on vacation. Keep us updated.