RoughLSUfan

MACNA experience

6 posts in this topic

So now that everyone has had a little time to rest from what i thought was an amazing MACNA New Orleans. I want to hear from our members. What was you favorite part of the show and what is something if anything would you have liked to see us as the staff do differently. I know we have learned a lot from giving you guys our yearly Fragniappe, but we also learned a lot with putting on MACNA this year. You can expect some big things to come.

Also lets see some pictures of your haul from MACNA. Or just some pics of you enjoying the show.

Anyone?  The biggest show in North America just happened, hosted in NOLA by BRK,  and no members here have a single thing to say about it?  This is unreal.

It was amazing!  For me, I really enjoyed that there was an even mix of livestock vendors and new/innovative technology on display that helps solve problems that the average aquarist may face.

For example, there was one booth (fishcicle, I believe) that sold a simplified frozen food dispenser that would be extremely useful for slowly feeding foods to seahorses, pipefish, anthias, or other fish that do best with multiple feedings a day.  Also, there was another vendor (the same guys who make the smart ato) who had a simplified plug controller that would turn off an outlet using eye sensors.  There are many other examples, but the vendors who brought in new technologies to make reefing a little easier were really awesome!

I attached two short clips of two tanks that were really neat!

IMG_0205.MOV

IMG_0218.MOV

Edited by Coral Cove NOLA
  • Like 2

What I found most appealing about the Macna event was the sheer amount of beneficial information that the vendors were genuinely willing to offer. A majority of my time there was spent chatting it up with knowledgeable people who love the hobby as much as we do. BRK's commitment to this event really showed, whether that meant bringing in forum members requested vendors or guest speakers along with every locally owned business that wanted be part of something special.

• Like 2

I enjoyed the show very much, and my hat is off to the BRK group that worked so hard to pull it off.

Hqult7Hl.jpg

My favorite is the two booths that had captive bred fish. Here is an aquarium with captive bred Conspic angels, Singapore angels and blue-lined angels. Another booth had tank bred borbonius anthias, coral beauties, and mandarins. Karen Brittain was honored remotely for her breeding program that includes Personatus angels. Efforts like these are the future of the hobby.

eRQCHeel.jpg

Also, I got to spend time with a couple of reefers that have been dating for well over a year and met each other on Reef Central. This is Dave Bush and Michelle Skubis. Dave is from the Pensacola area and Michelle is from the Chicago area. Great people. To me, besides the hobby, the people I have met are the greatest part of the forums and meets! Well, except for Kirk.

5vDTi5Zl.jpg

Edited by 110reef
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

My wife and I also enjoyed it. Great job guys with everything. I can't wait for the Mindstream to be complete and able to purchase. I picked some awesome sps as well. For Fragniappe please talk to top self aquatics about getting a booth. They brought some awesome stuff. The only thing I was upset about is the lack of fish to be able to purchase, hell they even had a booth called Strictly Fish with not one fish.