Bob Loblaw

Crash, 100% loss

26 posts in this topic

Technically should be 99.9 as I saved a couple of hermits. We're moving into our new house tomorrow so yesterday I moved all tank inhabitants to inlaws where they would reside in Rubbermaid brutes until I could move them to new house on Saturday. Mother in law called me this morning and said something smelled really bad in the "fish room". Quit packin and rushed over. New immediately from the smell that it was bad. Water in brute was black, like stagnant swamp water black. 75, 120 and all equip will be listed in a few days. 

Pumps and heater were all running. Kind of stumped. I picked up 10 gallons from aquahut as I was a little short on water after all the rock was in. I'm thinking the new guy there may have given me RO instead of salt but I don't think 10 gallons would be enough to crash it. Only other thing I can think of is the Rubbermaid had some sort of contaminant in it. I stuck around for about an hour after I had finished the transfer and all seemed ok.

Rubbbermaids were from Tractor Supply and have been sitting in my shed for the past few months. Rinsed them out with the hose a couple of times but never scrubbed. 

Sorry, this really sucks. 100 percent loss means nems too?

Was your rock buried in the sand? Possible hydrogen sulfide in the rock could have been the culprit.

Nems were mush. I thought I could save the blue gig at first but it was too far gone. Some rock was under the sand but all the water i used was taken before disturbing the sand bed. I'm wondering if the ceramic media blocks which came from very low flow in my sump to high flow in the brute could have had something to do with it. 

Confusion on cause continues. I had a my water mixing brute with just rock and whatever inverts lived in it- no fish or coral, none of the aquahut water, and none of the ceramic media in it. Got to chickys parents house a couple hours ago, her mom met me at the truck and said it's bubbling. I did put the blue gig in the can for roughly 30 seconds but wouldn't think that could wipe out all that rock. 

Water coming out of rock bin. 

IMG_0627.thumb.JPG.f67ca01ffbc4cb3d792f7745f4c56bfc.JPG

IMG_0628.JPG

Man sorry to hear this I'm coming back from a a restart. I have a few stuff growing out and some zoas you can have. When stuff is ready to frag I'll give you some of that too.

Thx for the support all. The rock was rank when I pulled it. Everything down to bristleworms and brittle stars were dead. 

Flies are having a field day

IMG_0632.JPG

IMG_0630.JPG

Sorry to hear that Jordan..  It happens to the best of us.  

I came home from a job on Tuesday and as soon as I walked in the door, the smell of lysol slapped me in the face.  Apparently a family member was "helping us clean" and was spraying lysol all over the place.  I had to leave Wednesday for a short out of town trip and when I returned I found my coral QT tank and zoa frag tank had crashed, and I'm now trying to salvage what I can of the $1500 worth of collector zoas/shrooms in those tanks.  Luckily my sps tank didn't get trashed. 

Sometimes things are just outside of your control man.  Hopefully you get back into the swing of things quickly.  Let me know if you need a hand with anything or to borrow some equipment, I don't mind helping you getting started up again. 

Edited by Coral Cove NOLA