Roid Reefs

My First Build 75g

10 posts in this topic

So I'm almost done with the remodel on my home. With that I will be starting my first reef tank. It is a 75G with the overflow in the center, holes are drilled in the bottom. I plan on starting with a softie tank, then maybe adding some lps down the road. I've uploaded a pdf of my proposed plumbing plans.

In red is my planned overflow line, and emergency line. Blue is my return line. Green is a manifold to attach to reactors, skimmer, things of that sort can be added as necessary. 

The squares on the lines are unions. the ovals are ball valves. and the circles off the lines are gate valves to adjust flow as needed. I have a Jebao DCT8000 for my return pump. Figured for cheaper than the 6000 off amazon I may as well get the larger one, as I can dial it down both from the controller and through gate valves as needed. 

I may add a filter sock to the overflow line into the sump, but I plan on filling the first chamber with some bio balls a friend has for now. then the second chamber will be for my skimmer, room for returns from reactors if added, may fill with the extra dry rock/rubble rock in the meantime to seed it and add extra biofiltration. the third will be for my return pump, heaters, and ato of course. the width of the chambers is not to scale, and I will do some more measurements to determine what is necessary on that.

I have a 36" 2bulb t5/ 1 MH (in the center) fixture, 2 tao electronic blue/white led squares (one of the blues does not work, but I may open it up as the solder is most likely the problem from what I have read), or a current usa orbit 24" led that I can use for lighting. I purchased a jebao RW8 wavemaker, this should be enough, if not I have bought 4 ~800 gph off brand powerheads to use for mixing that I may be able to add temporarily til I can purchase something else.

Pictures of the build and aquascaping (have about 90lbs of mixed marco and I believe real reef dry rock to work with thanks to great finds at macna) will come as I begin to set it up.   All I have left to purchase is the plumbing, filter replacement kit for my RODI unit, and misc gear like buckets, nets, siphons, fish food, the little stuff.

Any input on this plumbing/sump design would be great.

Plumbing.pdf

Edited by Roid Reefs

Loaded up the rock in a brute so it can start curing. Going to fill it up with saltwater this afternoon and begin the process. getting close to setting up the tank.

How about some pictures of the tank, sump and plumbing? I'm thinking (again) setting up a 75 gal anemone tank.

20 minutes ago, stoned said:

How about some pictures of the tank, sump and plumbing? I'm thinking (again) setting up a 75 gal anemone tank.

What he said...

11 hours ago, stoned said:

Coming right up! I still am a few weeks out. need to reseal the tank, sand and repaint the stand, and redo the plumbing. But these pictures will be where I'm at currently, and what I have to work with.

Hey that'll work! I'd recommend you going ahead and swapping out the old bulkheads for new ones. Looks to be a 1" for the drain and a 3/4" for the return side. The gasket on the older bulkheads may have dried out since they are no longer wet. Plus, it gives your plumbing a fresh start... 

That sump is pretty neat. I was going to buy a DIY kit off eBay a while back that reminds me off what's used in that sump. It came with pre cut acrylic that the user would then put into place in whatever aquarium was used. Neat concept fosure. 

Can't wait to see this bad boy cleaned up and going! :thumbup:

4 minutes ago, mknightryder said:

Hey that'll work! I'd recommend you going ahead and swapping out the old bulkheads for new ones. Looks to be a 1" for the drain and a 3/4" for the return side. The gasket on the older bulkheads may have dried out since they are no longer wet. Plus, it gives your plumbing a fresh start... 

That sump is pretty neat. I was going to buy a DIY kit off eBay a while back that reminds me off what's used in that sump. It came with pre cut acrylic that the user would then put into place in whatever aquarium was used. Neat concept fosure. 

Can't wait to see this bad boy cleaned up and going! :thumbup:

Thanks! Im definitely ready to start working on it. I am doing the last touches to the house and will begin working on it soon.  I actually planned on replacing the bulkheads as you suggested. Redoing it all from scratch. I want to use both to set up a herbie method overflow, and running the return lines hidden up the back of the tank and come in through the canopy. What are your thoughts on that? I personally thought it was a little better than running a single overflow.

I ran my old 90 gallon similar to that. I used the 1" with 1 1/4 durso stand pipe in the overflow box. 1" pvc from the bulkhead. For whatever reasons a 1" durso just made to much racket. The 1 1/4" pvc durso was the ticket. 

I then used the 3/4 bulkhead as an emergency overflow incase main 1" drain failed. 

The returns were plumbed to bulkhead that were drilled in the back glass. (That's how it was when I bought the tank second hand.) All of it worked great, but over the back would've been better. 

I tried to do a herbie,  but the two different size bulkheads didn't work like it was supposed to. 1" worked fine but the 3/4 couldnt handle all the flow if the 1" main ever clogged. I've read where others have used the 3/4 as the main siphon drain for the herbie method, and the 1" was the emergency. I gave up and just modified them for the durso..