Sign in to follow this  
C_man7

Innovative Marine 25 Lagoon Drilled w/ Sump

17 posts in this topic

I'm starting my new build and decided to try and make this a nicer show tank/sump set up. This will be my 4th tank set up in 3+years. I ran a 20 long to get my foot in the door and quickly upgraded to a 40 breeder, which was a huge learning curve, which helped me learn alot about the hobby, but mostly what not to do, (buy cheap equipment, buy cheap coral paly/gsp and let it take over 80% of the tank, skipped maintenance and everything went down hill. Now that I have more free time I've decided to rebuild and try and do things the right way, so I ordered a Fluval Evo 13.5 to move some of my clean algae free live rock and a few pieces of coral over till I started buying the equipment for the new build over time planning to start around the holidays when work slowed down. Well then MACNA happened and I took full advantage of the buy 6 frags get 3 free and I packed them into the tank. Then Kevin over at Corals Down South got a bunch of stuff in and I picked up a few frags. So now the tank is full, but everything is happy.

So onto the actual build. I decided I wanted to stay on the smaller side since I'm trying to breed Lake Tanganyika Shell dwellers in my 50g low boy in my front room and the only space I have in my living room is a 30"X30" space. I hate the look of cube tank so the at was knicked. Then I looked at 20longs which I've done or 29g but felt those wouldn't do it. Then I remember I seen Innovative Marine came out with the black series tanks that weren't all in one, and they had the 25 lagoon style. So some back and fourth between vendors trying to find one. I picked one up from Dr. Foster & Smith. As of today 10/9 all equipment has been ordered and stand is being built. Here is a list of what I have going on in the tank.

Tank: Innovative Marine 25 Lagoon Black Series

Sump: Eshopps Nano Cube Refugium

Stand: DIY Oak Stand

Lighting: Ocean Revive T247

Wavemakers: Jebao SW-2 and Koralia Nano 425

Overflow: Eshopps Eclipse S

Return: Dual 3/4, Loc-Line w/ Round Nozzle

Return Pump: Jebao DCS-2000

Heater: Ehiem Jager 75w

Skimmer: SC Aquariums SCA 301

Fuge Light: Red/Blue Led light from Amazon

Controller: Reefkeeper Lite Basic

ATO: Tunze Nano ATO

ATO Container: Eshopps Pacific M 5g

Stocking:

Pair of Mocha Clownfish

Royal Gramma

Plan to add:

Some type of shrimp goby (hi fin, yasha, something like that)

One more smaller active fish

Inverts:

Hermits

Cerith

Nassirus

Astera

Serpant Star

Mixed Reef:

Zoa

Leather

Hammer

Acan 

Duncan

GSP 

Xenia

Kenya Tree

Acro 

Birdnest

Blasto 

Shrooms

Candy Cane

Here is the Evo 13.5

image.png

image.png

Edited by C_man7

Roughing in the plumbing and seeing how everything fits into the sump. 

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Dude this is going to be awesome.  What are your initial impressions on the nuvo black?  Ive been excited to ask someone who bought one what they think.

15 hours ago, mcozad829 said:

Dude this is going to be awesome.  What are your initial impressions on the nuvo black?  Ive been excited to ask someone who bought one what they think.

Well only having standard tanks to compare it to. It's nice. 

The glass is 8mm about .3in thick top edge has a nice bevel to it. 

Back glass is smoked. I was really impressed and excited to get it complete.

I posted yesterday about how I'd seen this on Facebook page and how awesome of a system this is going to be.... However, you were still adding more build posts with pictures to this thread, so I deleted my posts. I didn't wanna mess a good story up! :nono: You got it going on Man! That pile of reefer-gear pic you included is impressive, and you putting it all together nicely! 

When you going drill this bad boy? I'm curious to see that overflow in action! 

21 hours ago, mknightryder said:

I posted yesterday about how I'd seen this on Facebook page and how awesome of a system this is going to be.... However, you were still adding more build posts with pictures to this thread, so I deleted my posts. I didn't wanna mess a good story up! :nono: You got it going on Man! That pile of reefer-gear pic you included is impressive, and you putting it all together nicely! 

When you going drill this bad boy? I'm curious to see that overflow in action! 

I was planning on having someone drill the tank for me, not thinking it would cost that much. lol However it was a decent bit more than I thought per hole so 3 holes would be killer on me.

I may try to get the overflow drilled today or friday next time I'm off. I need to get the overflow on at least so I can finish cutting out the plumbing holes for my stand. I'm at the point in the build 

where I need to get the bulkheads in to continue. Up coming plans

Drill tank,

Complete stand,

Rough fit plumbing/Glue

Add all electrical 

water test

then start the transfer.

Made some progress on the stand a couple days ago. Hoping to have it complete and ready to paint by tonight.

Headed to Louisiana Fish Store tomorrow to have it drilled.

Stand is 24x24x36

2x4 and 1/2" Plywood.

Drawer will house all electronics. Slot will be for my rack power strip

Once Open The drawer will have all my controllers, Reefkeeper Lite, Wavemaker, and Return pump.

Door will be held on by earth magnets. 

Plan to drill holes from the top to run plumbing down to the sump so every thing is concealed in one unit.

Only thing that will be exposed is the power wire to my switcher.

Plan to drill two holes in the back of the stand to mount two 120mm fans one blowing in fresh air and one 

blowing hot air out.

thumbnail?appId=YahooMailNeo&pid=6thumbnail?appId=YahooMailNeo&pid=3thumbnail?appId=YahooMailNeo&pid=5thumbnail?appId=YahooMailNeo&pid=2

You going to love being able to remove the door cause of the rare earth magnets! Makes getting down in the stand so much easier to work on stuff in the sump! Go check out my build thread on how I recessed rare earth magnets into the stand and door panels for installation ideas. Good luck with it man! You almost there! :thumbup:

Update:

Took a ride out to Louisiana Fish Store this weekend and got the tank drilled and picked up about 10lbs of dry base rock.

Also made my DIY screen top and drilled the holes in the stand for my plumbing and started to paint.

image.png

image.png

20171015_101226.jpg

That overflow looks great!  Are you going to paint the rim on the screen top black to match the tank?

Roughed in the plumbing and test fit everything. It's going to be a tight fit but everything will work out. Now to finish painting and get this thing complete.

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail (2).jpg

I havent posted on here in a while but huge update. Everything is plumbed painted and transferred. Only thing that went down with the transfer is my clowns beat my royal gramma up pretty bad in the new tank and he's not looking to hot and isn't eating. I think the stress of the move and the clownfish picking on him took it's toll but hopefully he will bounce back. I picked up a yellow watchman goby to finish off my stocking. Except now I have no fish that swim out in the open much. Here's some pics though.

59f88f574adef_thumbnail(7).thumb.jpg.e7066342191ea8def40eefc16dfb6ec1.jpg

thumbnail (9).jpg

thumbnail (8).jpg