kirk_m

Defeat, snatched from the jaws of victory

13 posts in this topic

So, my livestock's been living in rubbermaid tubs at my mother in law's house the last 6 months or so while we built our house.  Early on, I had a few losses of old colonies, but things then stabilized.  Then, last week, my Oregon tort colony, 5 years old, somehow got knocked down onto a chalice and burned,  and now this week, it's a skeleton.  Well, just when it couldn't get any worse, it did.

Wife called me today when she went to pick the kids up from her mom's house, telling me the osmolator alarm was sounding.   She said the 10 gallon topoff reservoir was empty, no big deal.  But, then when she looked closer, she noticed the sump was all but drained empty, and all the corals in it were being baked under the T5s.  She valiantly bailed water out of the main tank while I rushed home over the causeway, to try to get things covered up with water.

Needless to say, a lot of stuff is now going to die.  After I got home and mixed up some new salt water to add, I could clearly see tissue sloughing off almost all the large LPS colonies I have living in the sump.   Less than 4" of water in a 100 gallon stock tub remained.  The culprit?  The skimmer, which hadn't skimmed out crap in the last 4 weeks decided it was going to go into overdrive.  It overfoamed and drained about 50 gallons of water out of the system, overflowing the jug I had it draining into and flooding the garage (thankfully, it didn't get into the house).  I am beyond pissed, and, now I really don't even want to buy a new tank.  I got a quote today for $4000 pre-tax on the 300 gallon system I am interested in from Planet Aquarium, but, now I just don't think I can justify spending it.  It's times like this that I really  hate this hobby.

Damn I hate to hear this. Your tank was always my inspiration. I know how you feel i lost all my corals and a few of my fish in my 300. It caused me not to want to keep tbe tank. Now i am trying to get back into it. I really wanted to see what you would do with a 300. 

Damn 4000 I hope that was tank stand and canopy

Kirk, dont let something like this get you out of the hobby. There's no doubt in my mind, a fresh start with a massive tank will revitalize your passion for the hobby. I sure most of us long term reefers here have experienced ups and dows, but something always pulls us back into it. Your tank, like 6lilfishes said, has inspired alot of local reefers. Your new beautiful home will not be complete without your own piece of the reef. 

2 hours ago, Bob Loblaw said:

On the plus side your rock is still alive :)

... This guy here!! lol :popcorn:

Yeah Kirk don't let this kick in the satchel get you down man! As stated above your tanks have been a real inspiration to many including myself! It sucks that ole' Murphy had to show up when he did. I'd imagine you were not too far away from getting ready to kick this epic 300 build off, since y'all just got moved into the new house... Which is Beautiful BTW! You def need some blue lights illuminating out of the living room windows of it! :P

Sorry to hear about the loss. I always liked seeing pictures of your tank and hearing what advice you had to offer. Now ask yourself. What are you going to do if you don't grow sticks....grow tomatoes????

6 hours ago, 6lilfishes said:

Damn I hate to hear this. Your tank was always my inspiration. I know how you feel i lost all my corals and a few of my fish in my 300. It caused me not to want to keep tbe tank. Now i am trying to get back into it. I really wanted to see what you would do with a 300. 

Damn 4000 I hope that was tank stand and canopy

No, just the tank and a metal stand.  I think it's on the high side...but, I haven't bought a tank in over a decade, and the last one (the 120) only cost me $700 with 3/4" thick glass.

Thanks, all for the encouragement.  I'll have to see how things look today when I go pick the kids up.

Edited by kirk_m

Sorry to hear...as others have said, some of the best tanks around.  Looking forward to a bigger/better next tank!

Sucks to hear this. Should have called me, I have saltwater mixed. How are the corals looking?

Man that really sucks. I'm sorry for your loss.
If Jordan can say it with a smile after what happened to him, you know things will get better.

ouch that sucks Kirk, sorry.  Any updates things looking better or worse? Don't give up! You're not a quitter!