mikediamo

cycle a new tank.

4 posts in this topic

I was thinking it will be next year before i can afford light for the 180 gallon. can i put salt water and live sand and rock and start cycling the tank now. run it without livestock or a light to get bacteria to start growing. i do have 2 800 watt ballast i guess i can run 1  for some light i know not to put corals in it. thoughts.

you want to cycle with no light. best way. prevents algae growth. just make sure to ghost feed or add shrimp from the store and swap out every few days to prevent too much break down and keep bacteria reproducing.

once you get it cycled you can always add first fish with just a cheap led strip off amazon if you wanted so you have something to look at in the tank before you buy light to support corals.

are you starting with live rock or dry rock?

I was going to start with nothing then add my dry rock and live sand then transfer about 30 lbs of live rock and sand from my 30 gallon hex which is full of multi color coralline algae. but when I transfer the rock and algae I want to have my lights then

Mike, you can start cycling the tank now with dry rock and sand if you would like.  You can put a small piece of live rock in the tank to have a starter culture of bacteria, then feed that bacteria with an an ammonia source (I like to use Dr. Tim's ammonium chloride drops for cycling dry rock).  Normally your fish produce the ammonia that feed the bacteria, but you can substitute the fish for ammonium chloride to keep your bacteria populations healthy while you finish getting the tank setup.