Sign in to follow this  
RedStickReefer

LF PH Recommendation for 30g Long

5 posts in this topic

Looking for suggestions for powerheads for my 30g long reef.  I'm really having a hard time deciding...  Should I go with an inexpensive option like a single, or a couple, small jebao pumps with their own controllers and save one of the 4 modules available on the reefkeeper lite for something else?  Should I get the APC module for RKL and get some small Tunze pumps, or the new koralia gen3 pumps that are controllable (I think these can be controlled by the RKL, but not 100%)?  This will be an SPS tank mainly with maybe a few LPS/zoas, so I would like a good bit of flow.  I just really can't decide at this point and looking for any food for thought from y'all.  Thanks!

Does anyone know if the quality of the jebao powerheads has improved over the last couple of years? I know they've released several new models since first being released. I've owned them in the past and they seemed to lose flow and crap out after about 1 year of use.  Hard to pass up though because I can get a single pp8 for around $60 and ideally I'd never need another powerhead.

I'm still using my original jebao wp40 that I bought a few weeks before the meet we had at @lars many yrs back. That was back when they first came out!! I eventually had to replace the power supply on the Wp40 that cost me 14bucks...  I have and still run a wp25 that I had picked up used later on that yr. Also, I have two Rw'8s that i have that are several yrs old. I picked up two RW4's for my sons 30g tank, but we haven't put water in it yet. I guess these things are like anything else.... Some last forever and some are lemons... For the money, if they do crap out, you can replace them. I picked up two MP40QD's a few months back for my tank, but still have the Rw8's in there to stir stuff up behind my rock work... As long as you clean them every six months or so, they seem to do fine.

Cool, I think I'm going to try a single Jebao SW-8 for this build.  For $60 and two day free shipping from Amazon it's hard not to buy.

Think that'll work nicely. I ran the two rw8's on the packed 40B refugee tank after the flood. I had to dial them down alot, but the extra flow was their when I wanted to crank them up and stir the detritus up when doing a wc. I think this will be your cheapest alternative for this tank so you can save up for the dream build!!!