Coral Cove NOLA

Mark's Marine artificial rock info

11 posts in this topic

Good evening fellow reefers! 

I'm trying to find out if any of the long time reefers here have any information or experience on/with the artificial rock produced at Mark's Marine that is now closed.  I have a customer that has about 80% of the artificial rock from Mark's Marine in their tank, and I believe the rock may be leaching a chemical(s) that are causing issues in that tank.  Since Ive never dealt with Mark's Marine, I told the customer I would ask some of the long-time reefers in the hobby (you guys) if y'all had some info that may be useful before I pull the rock out and replace it with real rock. 

@Bob Loblaw@Checkitout  IIRC, I think you guys have some experience there?

Never bought any of their artificial rock.  Having shopped there for many years when they were the only game in town, I wouldn't be surprised if they cut corners on the rock to make an extra buck. Think that mentality is what ultimately led to their downfall, I'd replace it.

Most of the live rock in my tank came from Mark's. However, I do not think mine is artificial.

Having worked at Marks and starting in the hobby in 98 using Marks advice and equipment I can't ever recall any artificial rock from their. I still have rock from 98 in my tank today but its not artificial, they came in live in big boxes and I had to cure them and my house. Hell I even remember asking for a box of rocks for Christmas back then, LOL.  Did this customer say when they bought the the rocks from Marks?  

I know Coral Connection in Kenner used to make an "in house" artificial rock. Wonder if they mistaken the name of store?

Whenever I bought my first used saltwater set-up, it came with live rock that came from CC. It looks like small gravel pieces/ aragonite with some kind of hydraulic cement to bond it all together. I have a few interesting pieces of it in my 150g to this day.... 

@Bob Loblaw That seems to be the pattern from people who talk about the company, I'll probably just recommend replacing it.  Obviously, restarting the tank and replacing all the rock is expensive, so I told the customer I would do some research on that rock before making a judgement call on a product I'm not familiar with.

@Checkitout This customer estimates he bought it 3 to 4 years ago from Mark's.

@mknightryder It definitely isn't George's rock style.. It's almost "bouldery" looking, with very few pores.  If Mark didn't make artificial rock at his store, I wonder if someone brought in or traded some home-made rock to Mark for store credit or something.  This customer knows all of the LFS's well and used to live in Baton Rouge before moving to Lakeview, so I'm pretty positive he wouldn't mistake one store for another.

Did Mark still own the shop 3-4 years ago? I know he sold it shortly after moving locations but cant remember exactly when. IIRC the new owners reputation was even worse.

Yea Mark sold his store sometime around 2013. He also had another big building where he built cabinets and canopy but I don't ever recall him making rock. 

I spoke with the customer, and he said the rock was definitely purchased before Mark sold the store.  I'm guessing since no one remembers Mark making his own rock, the artificial stuff I'm dealing with now came from a customer who may have traded it in when breaking down a tank or something.

I believe I do remember him making rock at one time. Don't know how long he did it for, probably not long. At any rate, if the rock is suspect, then I would change it out.

9 hours ago, 110reef said:

I believe I do remember him making rock at one time. Don't know how long he did it for, probably not long. At any rate, if the rock is suspect, then I would change it out.

I definitely agree with you on scrapping the rock Ken.  I had suggested replacing the rock as soon as I ruled out the other possible causes of tank issues, but the customer wasn't ready for a tank overhaul that involved.   The tank is a 180g, so it's going to be a bit costly to reset the tank with all new rock, labor costs, probably new sand, etc.. so I told the customer I would ask around first to make him feel a little more comfortable about pulling the trigger on a full tank reset.