mikediamo

xr30

8 posts in this topic

ok read all over the net for a 180 gallon tank measuring 60x24x24 i need 3 to 4 radions. Goto Ecotech website and phonecall they said 2 will do fine. The tech said its a personel preference to go with more then 2.  i have a glass center brace that takes  up almost 1/5 of the top in the middle so 2 or 3 lights is the question. i want to run a general reef and dont want limit my options. i love sun corals, flower pots zoas anemonies clams, and have crazy growth in 35 hex with a reefbreader light of aussie acans they just are bleached.. The light delima is driving me crazy. especially when i have a chiller and 2 400 watt mh fixtures and i can get a bulb at 1000 bulbs for it for less then 20 bucks.

I'm running the 3 Radions over my 96"L x 30W x 24High. I bought four Radions before getting the tank and saw that 3 would work fine and returned the fourth. Light #4 would be have been overkill and unnecessary.

I think 2 should do the trick for your tank. Consider electricity usage and heat from the halides and chiller as well.

C0B29C80-A951-4996-92DA-109C2AE8BCED.jpeg

Edited by Bob Loblaw

Check your measurements and calculations. 60"×24"×24" is 150g. 72"×24"×24" is 180g. Regardless, we are talking coverage and I believe two radions could handle the 60"×24×24 if you placed them high above the tank and ran the intensity higher. If I recall, @Smtwinn was running 5 or 6 radions over his 300g DD 72"×36×27, but he pulled a few off... he may be running 3 maybe 4 now and still gets plenty of coverage and growth! 

On my 60×24×24 150g I run 3 of the Sbreeflights basic models. My blues never go over 50% and whites max out at 28%. Granted I also run some t5's to supplement them. I bet if they were high enough I could get by with only two lights, but they would have to be 20plus inches AWL (above water line) and the intensity would have to be turned way up...  

Good luck with it! The research that goes into purchasing equipment, putting it all together, and the end results are some of the most rewarding times in reef keeping!!!

My 120g was 60x18x24 and I only used two radions for the majority of it's life.  I did add two reefbrite strips at one point, mainly to even out the look of the lighting, so It didn't look like I had two spotlights over the tank.  It all depends on what corals your growing and how much light you need.  Also, if your scape is something like two islands I don't see the point in adding a 3rd strong LED light over the middle of the tank just to shine on the center brace and sandbed. 

I will say that with that glass center brace you will get shadowing from the 2. I know from experience because i think i have the same tank as you. I added a 3rd just to fix this issue and im happy. Not that 2 would not have worked but the shadow created by the glass brace was annoying.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Two will work just need to mount higher than Ecotech recommends. Maybe 10-12 inches above water. When I figure lights needed I use one light per 24” in length The spread on the G4s is far better and equal than previous models. I went from 6 gen3 pros to 3 gen 4 pros on my 300. I didn’t necessarily need 6 before. 3 would’ve done the job but I wanted equal par across the tank. The 120 degree lenses worked to get the spread but lowered par numbers. I also have two 6” glass center braces.

Thanks for shout out!![mention=862]mknightryder[/mention]