Travis

Dumping LEDs. Back to T5HO we GO!

3 posts in this topic

So I have taken the plunge to dump LEDs and go back to what just works, T5s. Waiting on the fixture to arrive next week. Here’s a video of my tank with LEDs for the last time. 

Hamilton Lighting Tech was having a great end of year sale so I picked up their 3ft 6 bulb fixture. 

The light from any LED fixture that I have used just seems to be harsh, in a word. I have always experienced success when using T5HO fixtures. 

I had a long run with LED's before finally switching back to T5's.. It's made a huge difference in growth and color for me.  I'm sure you won't regret this decision!  I've tried Kessils, Radions, and the Black boxes.. all of which produced pretty good color, but not like T5's do.  My previous bulb combo for the 6 bulb fixture I have was 3B+, 1UV, 1C+, 1P+ (all ATI).  I had really good growth and color with that combo.

I recently added two Reefbrite XHO's onto my fixture to add a little more blue saturation and allow corals I sell out of that system to adjust more easily to tanks that use LED.  My new bulb Combo is 2 B+, 1 P+, 1 C+, 2 UV, and the 2 Reefbrites on 50%.  The corals took awhile to adapt, but I'm getting a pinch better color with the extra blue saturation from the Reefbrights.  Hopefully some of this info is useful for you!

-Jeremy

Yeh I am currently running 2 b+, 1 c+, and 3 uv.  The polyp extension in the LPS has been phenomenal and the corals are starting to grow, mushrooms are popping out babies left and right lol.