Checkitout

Powerhead needed, suggestions?

I had 3 mp40's on my tank and within the last month 2 of them have gone out, so I'm down to one. Are there any powerheads that you would suggest to get instead of the Ecotech? 

Tunze would be my only other option, but I don't know if I'll ever stray from Ecotechs due to the external power cord. I do think Ecotechs quality control is slipping as they grow though.

8 hours ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Tunze would be my only other option, but I don't know if I'll ever stray from Ecotechs due to the external power cord. I do think Ecotechs quality control is slipping as they grow though.

Which tunze would you go with to replace a mp40?

Haven't heard any updates on the wave puck, it seems that it's still not quite ready for some reason.  However, one of my customers on the Northshore has been using the Apex power heads for awhile now and really likes them.. he says they put out some serious flow.  I've heard of quite a few people that are happy with the performance of their Jebao pumps, especially at the price point their listed for, but I haven't had any daily experience with them yet.

-Jeremy

I'm leaning on going with a cheap pump for a little while until the new reef octopus pump comes out in the next few months. The problem is I just don't know which cheap pump to get.

Get a cpl jebao Rw8's. Or PP8's. 

The "8" series are good for a 4' tank. And they take up just a little bit more room in the tank as a Mp40 wetside. You can't beat these pumps as far as price goes!!! And I have a cpl Wp series jebao pumps that have been in the hobby almost as long as I Have! 

Rw8 and Mp40qd in pic. 

20180117_095350.jpg

First time I've seen that one. Looks to be a newer version of the Rw15. The rw15 is said to put out as much flow as an older WP40 and the new QP16. The WP40 I ran on my 90g tank had just a bit much flow on the 4' tank. Back then the only way to dial the flow back was to reduce the voltage to the pump with a variable voltage power supply. Instead of the full 24v, I had to run mine at 18v in order to use it in my tank. That was my reasoning for going with the Rw8's vs. Rw15's. But now, I believe, the new controllers allow one to dial the flow back so the Qp16 should be a do-able pump in a 4' tank like your's. Plus, it has some German engineering done to it as well... 

I say give it a try! Like anything in this world there are duds. I guess I've been fortunate not to have had one yet. I have had nothing bit good things to say about all the jebao products I've tried... 

• Like 2

Are you sure the whole thing took a dump on you?  I purchased some used MP40s and they wouldnt start and had the blinking lights of death.  turns out the wet sides were just locked up.  Took them down and cleaned them up and now all is fine.

Yea the magnet on the dry side look like someone took a knife or something and jacked up it up. They both were 10+ years old and and were starting to make a high pitched noise. Trust me I would love to not spend the money on something new.