Roid Reefs

Homemade Frozen Foods

8 posts in this topic

Searched frozen foods here on the site. Did not see a thread for it. Sooo. Let’s start one! Anyone here making their own frozen blend to feed? What’s in it? How long have you been using it? 

Doing some research, it looks like a few people just use a medley of fresh seafood, (shrimp, octopus, squid, and saltwater fish) just chop it up and add some nori in it as well. Some say to add selcon, where as others say it will just blow away once it’s put in the tank. I’m going to keep looking and doing research and will probably start in the next couple weeks making my own. 

I get a seafood blend from the Asian market, the one without the crab since it's usually imitation. Add pe mysis,shrimp, spectrum pellets, garlic, selcon, some cobalt flake, seaweed strips. If it's dry, I'll add a little rodi, but usually not necessary. The mysis is usually enough liquid to work. Been using it for about 4 years. Never had a nutrient problem and there is something for everyone

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I guess I would call it minced and fine. Some pieces at too big for anthias to eat but they are for the bigger fish. I guess it varies.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I make my own for my predators and they love it.  Same formula can be applied for smaller fish.  It’s easy. 

1 pound of shrimp

1 pint of oysters

1 fish fillet (I used black drum)

1 tbsp garlic guard/garlic extract/ etc

1 tsp selcon 

cut it, chop it, mash it, or purée to desired size/consistency then mix up

you can also add clams, scallops, etc or substitute for oysters

Add finely chopped or ground nori for a mixed food blend

i bought a couple of ice cube trays from the dollar store.  Figure out how much you need by feeding the prepared mixture (a teaspoon, a tablespoon, 2 tablespoons, etc) then spoon the amount into each of the little cube spots in the trays.  Top with rodi water and freeze.   When they are frozen you can place them in a ziploc or in a Tupperware to prevent your freezer smelling like a fish market

• Like 1