RedStickReefer

Mistakes in Reefing

13 posts in this topic

We've all made some mistakes along our reefing journey, I know I have and  I'm not afraid to admit it.  I was just curious, what are some of your biggest mistakes?

I have to say my biggest mistake ever ever was housing a coral for another reefer after a meet without dipping.  They forgot their coral at my house after the meet and I didn't have any dip.  This was before I knew I could run to Home Depot and pick up some Bayer...and of course the local reef shops were closed.  I was faced with putting the coral in my tank without dipping, or letting the coral die because it was going to be days before they could come back and pick up their coral.  Well, I figured it was one frag and what are the odds I'd get something.  Well, I apparently beat the odds and my old tank never seemed to recover and move forward after that.

My second worst mistake I think i made was accidentally dosing a whole gallon of alk in less than 24 hours.  At the time I didn't have any dosing pumps and tried to DIY a slow drip alk solution as I could NOT get my alk above 7dkh for whatever reason. That didn't work out and inevitably my tank and EVERYTHING was completely coated in precipitate. I'll see if I can find an old pic of that...  Surprisingly, and luckily, I don't think I lost any corals and I even had some SPS in my tank at the time.

What's your story?

We've all made some mistakes along our reefing journey, I know I have and  I'm not afraid to admit it.  I was just curious, what are some of your biggest mistakes?

I have to say my biggest mistake ever ever was housing a coral for another reefer after a meet without dipping.  They forgot their coral at my house after the meet and I didn't have any dip.  This was before I knew I could run to Home Depot and pick up some Bayer...and of course the local reef shops were closed.  I was faced with putting the coral in my tank without dipping, or letting the coral die because it was going to be days before they could come back and pick up their coral.  Well, I figured it was one frag and what are the odds I'd get something.  Well, I apparently beat the odds and my old tank never seemed to recover and move forward after that.

My second worst mistake I think i made was accidentally dosing a whole gallon of alk in less than 24 hours.  At the time I didn't have any dosing pumps and tried to DIY a slow drip alk solution as I could NOT get my alk above 7dkh for whatever reason. That didn't work out and inevitably my tank and EVERYTHING was completely coated in precipitate. I'll see if I can find an old pic of that...  Surprisingly, and luckily, I don't think I lost any corals and I even had some SPS in my tank at the time.

What's your story?

Mine would be learning about having a proper lighting schedule. I had cheap lights on a tank and upgraded with T5. I didn’t have those on a schedule and my tank immediately overnight turned a solid green color. It took forever and multiple water changes to bring it back, but quickly learned a lesson on light management.

• Like 1

My biggest mistake was not going with a bigger tank. A few tank upgrades probably thousands of dollars later I’m still not satisfied. Oh yeah, and not qting coral properly.

My biggest mistake was trying to get my parameters to match another reefer. Every system is it's own situation and should be treated like it. 

• Like 1

I think mine would have to be not testing the salt I use beforehand and trusting what the salt maker completely. 

• Like 1

Nothing has been a mistake so much as a learning experience. Best answer I can give after 25 yrs of reefing... Buying Cheap doesn’t always mean it’s crap but is a good rule of thumb and MY BIGGEST MISTAKE...

Setting up my first marine tank when I was 13!  Any idea how much work worry and finance has gone into the last 25 yrs?!?  But I love it and I don’t look at anything as simply an “oops” I didn’t draw something constructive out of... 

It’s been years since I’ve posted anywhere but this is a nice thread and certainly refreshing to be in a hobby where our mistakes are eagerly discussed!  Happy reefing... don’t drown! 

• Like 1

In my early days the biggest mistake was not doing enough research on everything I wanted to stock the tank with. For example wrasses without a screen top, adding a mandarin to a young system without pods, not quarantining new arrivals. Nobody is a reefing master from the start but your mistakes definitely shape your success later in the hobby.

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 8:53 AM, Checkitout said:

I think mine would have to be not testing the salt I use beforehand and trusting what the salt maker completely. 

Yep, I think this one got us both!

• Like 1

On 3/11/2018 at 12:15 PM, RedStickReefer said:

Yep, I think this one got us both!

This one got me too.  Anyone want an unopened 225 gallon bucket of Aqua Vitro Salinity?  ;)

Just kidding, I may use it to start the new tank, dose it to where it needs to be then continue with the Fritz I have after that.

• Like 1

It's starting to look that way isn't it? I'm sure it will be worth the wait. 

Eric has been teasing us with this tank since 2013. I think he even put water in it for a day once.

Purely a tease, I tell ya!

If I had a 300 DD, it would be filled as quickly as humanly possible.