Sign in to follow this  
reefdave

Need help

3 posts in this topic

I’m in need of help with my sps tank. All corals we’re looking good but I was struggling with zero nitrates. I started dosing stump remover and got my nitrates to 2 but now my corals are dying and I have a cyano outbreak. I’m asking for help before I throw in the towel. 
David

What are your phosphates? I had trouble bringing my nitrates up because it would drop my phosphates to almost zero in a day's time. Some have success with it but me personally my tank is happier with 0 nitrates. I also don't believe that it's really 0. I think the coral is up taking it out the water collum as fast as it's put in the tank from fish and corals. If I was you I would pull any phosphate remover and stop with the nitrates. Then do no more then a twenty percent water change and be patient. I believe your sps will start responding in a week or so. 

you nitrates and phosphate levels will greatly depend on your Ca Alk levels. First you need to determine what level of Alk you want to run and if true 0 nitrates is where you want to be, hopefully not. You need nitrates as fuel for your corals to grow. The level at which you keep the nitrates at determines where you want your Alk to be.