Sign in to follow this  
RedStickReefer

Bicolor Blenny

6 posts in this topic

I put a bicolor blenny in my 30g last week.  Pretty cool fish with a ton of personality but.... 

Today I came home to the maze brain coral I bought at Fragniappe completely retracted.  So much I can see the bone through the flesh.  I thought WTH, this coral has been looking better and better every day since Fragniappe and now this?  My first thought was great, adjusting my tank's Alkalinity must've zapped it, but IME brain corals have done better for me with a dKH of about 10.  I figured I hadn't bumped up alk past 10, but I tested just to make sure.  I was going to test alk today anyway.  My tank's alk level is at 8.6 according to the Hanna checker, which is fine.  I tested salinity too and it was fine.  I sat down to watch the tank for a while and bingo!  The bicolor blenny has been incessantly picking at it ALL day.  I'm talking about REALLY picking at it over and over again...I've always been more of a coral person over fish, but this blenny is pretty cool, so personally I'd rather lose the coral than remove the fish.  However, I am going to try to do whatever I can to save the coral.  I moved it over to the side of the tank opposite of the blenny's hole and behind a rock against the back wall, which BTW, has plenty of algae on it for the blenny to eat.  I'm hoping if it's out of the blenny's direct line of sight it might stop this behavior and give the coral a chance to recover.  I also turned off my skimmer for the time being.  I figured a phosphate level of 0.02 isn't doing the brain coral any favors either, and the SPS can withstand a slight rise in phosphate.

I always thought of blennys as being completely reef safe.  Even though I heard bicolor blenny's could pick at LPS corals on occasion I have never seen it, and I definitely didn't think if they did pick, it would be so incessant and enough to cause real damage.

Wow that's crazy! I've never noticed my Bi-color doing anything like that, but then again, I haven't watched him close enough to see if he was up to no good.. I have a fat Starry Blenny that I keep on eye on from time to time just because I have heard they will do some crazy stuff from time to time. Now, I guess, I should watch every one of them! I did have some rouge yellow tangs in the past, so I know it can happen. Guess everything we put in our tanks should be labeled, "reef safe but with caution." You never know what kind of personality and quirks they'll come with... lol 

Hopefully the brain pulls through though. Good thing you found the culprit, so you were not worrying about other things it could be... Wish every problem in our tanks was solved as quickly as this!!! 

Yep I watched my old bicolor blenny eating some of my sps so it got fed to my son's nem

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Does yours flash on the rocks like it has ich.

I have been watching mine it does it occasionally but shows no other signs that it has anything wrong with it.

Not that I've seen. It just swims around the rocks scraping off algae.

I think the blenny has finally stopped nipping at my maze brain coral.  If it is still nipping I havent witnessed it happen in a while.  I dont think it likes swimming across to the other side of the tank where I put the coral.  It's too far away from his hole.  Now I need to do something to nurse the brain coral back to health.  It's not dead, but looks really bad.  Was thinking about maybe soaking enough reef roids in aquavitro fuel to make a paste and spot feeding it with a syringe.  Interested in seeing how the coral reacts as I've never heard of anyone trying that before...I'm sure someone out there has though.  Will spot feed my raptors peace favia while im at it too just because.  It's doing excellent in my tank though.