Jenius8477

New LC Reef Newbie

Hello Boys and Girls,

Dustin here. Just dipping my toe in SW after keeping FW for years. I'm a DIY'er and I like to come up with neat solutions to problems. Attached is pictures of my New Evo 13.5 that I customized a bit with a refugium in the first chamber, Skimmer in 2nd chamber, and DIY ATO in which I use IV Tubing to bring the water up and a custom 3D printed adapter that the tubing attaches to and showers my emergency float switch with fresh water every time the ATO fires. I also found that the 3 Gallon refrigerator water containers fit in a standard PC computer case so this houses my reservoir, temp controller and power meter. Any advice for a Newbie?

IMG_20180318_234744.jpg

IMG_20180319_193457.jpg

IMG_20180319_193503.jpg

IMG_20180319_193615.jpg

IMG_20180320_233730.jpg

IMG_20180320_233817.jpg

IMG_20180320_235304.jpg

IMG_20180321_000031.jpg

IMG_20180322_221525.jpg

IMG_20180324_164940.jpg

IMG_20180324_164944.jpg

IMG_20180325_123244.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RedStickReefer said:

That's pretty cool what you've done with that old CPU.

Thanks, I thought that it looked nice enough not to cause too much trouble from the misses :) lol

Nice small tank.
I am in moss bluff LA.
if you are ready to buy some corals pm me.
Thanks man. She is just starting out so I'm adding cheaper stuff right now, any lead on some xynia?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Some quick advice I have for you is keep an eye on that feathery algae growing on the plug with the pipe organ coral, or whatever soft coral that is.  It looks like Bryopsis to me.  It's a nuisance algae that can completely overwhelm your tank and smother corals.  It might eventually die off and be nothing to worry about, but I would definitely keep an eye on it.  There are many threads on here and online on how to deal with it.  I had to battle it myself at one point and had decent success getting rid of it.  Raised Mg levels using tech-m, bought some emerald crabs that ate it, etc...

Some quick advice I have for you is keep an eye on that feathery algae growing on the plug with the pipe organ coral, or whatever soft coral that is.  It looks like Bryopsis to me.  It's a nuisance algae that can completely overwhelm your tank and smother corals.  It might eventually die off and be nothing to worry about, but I would definitely keep an eye on it.  There are many threads on here and online on how to deal with it.  I had to battle it myself at one point and had decent success getting rid of it.  Raised Mg levels using tech-m, bought some emerald crabs that ate it, etc...
I have an emerald crab in here and I removed the piece in the picture, got off as much as I could physically, and did a h2o2 dip on the frag. Thanks for the catch though. Much appreciated

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1