kirk_m

Kirk’s 350-ish build

69 posts in this topic

Well, after three attempts to get a tank built to my specs, Planet Aquarium finally delivered my 350-ish gallon tank. The dimensions are 72x36x31. Now, I can get on to building my sump with a 75 gallon aquarium.

Equipment on hand:

ATI 8 x 80 W Sunpower T5 fixture

Apex Aquacontroller

Vertex Alpha 250

Waveline 12000 DC return pump with Seaswirl oscillating return.

Tunze osmolator

EcoTech MP-60 Vortechs

GEO 818 calcium reactor with Carbon Doser regulator.

LiterMeter III for supplemental dosing

Have to buy:

Sand, rock (since all my existing stuff is covered in aiptasia and sh1t-brown palythoas).

Unfortunately, all my SPS colonies have died over the course of the year they have spent in Rubbermaid tubs in my mother-in-law’s garage. Most of my fish are still alive, but I lost my beloved pair of “naked” clown fish.

418146b705807609aea05e858cd742ec.jpg0e16e571e7bf7094ff3d2b1ab613360d.jpg

88affbee85ae03c62367c86ea663f2a0.jpg

99679d327900607b8b52210f8c24b34d.jpg

4378fae95ec6f38552dc8fb2268b9e5d.jpg

0949248dc03bacc88df87977e25dd08f.jpg

• Like 1

Cant wait to see this beauty take shape!

Nice, I was looking at upgrading to a 72 x 36 peninsula, then I got some quotes from Planet...ouch! I'll keep what I have. Good luck with the new tank.

Finally. How are you going to reach the bottom of that bad boy??!

Finally. How are you going to reach the bottom of that bad boy??!

Snorkel and mask, no shirt. :)
  • Like 1

Nice, I was looking at upgrading to a 72 x 36 peninsula, then I got some quotes from Planet...ouch! I'll keep what I have. Good luck with the new tank.

I agree, they are definitely overpriced. I could have likely bought a Reef Savvy for the same price and have it take just as long to get it done. I ordered it in October and with them having to build it three times because they can’t follow simple drawings, it took six months Instead of the three weeks they quoted me on.

Sweet tank Kirk! I miss my 300 Planet tank, I’m sure you’ll love it. Can’t wait to see what you do with it.

Has planet raised their prices a lot over the last few years?  When I bought my tank in '14 I thought the price was great for what I got.  Though my tank is only kinda custom, standard 65 gallon dims, rimless, black silicone, and external overflow.  I guess the all out custom tanks come with a premium?

5 hours ago, Jstan84 said:

Has planet raised their prices a lot over the last few years?  When I bought my tank in '14 I thought the price was great for what I got.  Though my tank is only kinda custom, standard 65 gallon dims, rimless, black silicone, and external overflow.  I guess the all out custom tanks come with a premium?

not sure about Kirk's, but when I quoted a 120 rimless in 2016, it was nearly $200 (roughly 20-30% increase?) more than when I quoted the same tank back in 2013-2014.

Can anyone do a simple CAD dawing for me that I can send to a CNC/Laser cutter for a plexiglass baffle I am looking to have made?  Thanks!

Today, I picked up some sand, just enough for a 1" sand bed.  I really was debating on whether not I wanted to do another sandbed, and was really leaning towards none, but, the black PVC bottom they put on this tank swayed me towards adding some sand.

Ran into a snag with getting some dry rock ordered, though.  I can't recycle the stuff I have already since I don't want to transfer all the aiptasia and nuisance algae and palys into this new setup.  It seems that the Pukani rock I wanted to get is sold out everywhere.  Evidently, the exporting nation banned rock exports, unbeknownst to me.  After contacting BRS, I was told that the ban has just recently been lifted, and this type of rock is on the way, via boat, but, will take at least 2 months to get here.  So, that REALLY screws things up for me, as that is the style rock I wanted to use.

Edited by kirk_m

Going to be a great built. Since you are going apex, I recommend going apex the whole way with dosing pumps, top off, sensors, etc.

Just now, MockandRoll said:

Going to be a great built. Since you are going apex, I recommend going apex the whole way with dosing pumps, top off, sensors, etc.

I have had my apex system for probably 6 years now, and, I don't plan on adding any other components to it.  I am reusing much of the equipment I've had from various other thanks, ranging from 2 gallons to 400 gallons, on this one :) .  If you were to enter my garage, you'd think you were in an aquarium equipment warehouse, lol.  I am hoping to keep the costs limited to just the tank, rock, sand, and the light.

Awe hell you should've went bigger man! Tank looks small on that wall of that great big ole' house! ;) Just kidding my friend. It looks gorgeous! I'm glad you FINALLY got what you wanted. :partydance:

So what are your plans on hanging that light? I don't see a canopy. The misses going to let you a screw into them fine new sheetrock ceilings to suspend it? Lol :popcorn:

11 hours ago, kirk_m said:

Can anyone do a simple CAD dawing for me

If you have a hand sketch or some directions of what you have in mind I can get something done and sent to you in pdf form. 

As for the rock, I'd wait on the Pukani, Blue zoo has live in stock. 

Man, that really sucks you lost all of your SPS, the new tank/stand looks gorgeous though.  Pukani for the win!  Looking forward to seeing what you do with this tank.

A minor update. I started plumbing the tank, my most unfavorite part of a build, today. The back portion will be for a manifold that I have yet to build (go figure, I ran out of fittings) that will feed my UV, Ozone reactor, calcium reactor, sulfur denitrator, and a media reactor. I might add a Cheatomorpha reactor in the future. My sand from Marcorocks arrived today...the mail lady here must hate me — 140lbs she had to lug to the door in 4 packages :). I am going with a shallow sand bed. Initially, I wasn’t going to do one at all, but, the black PVC bottom doesn’t look too natural.

I added a 1” seaswirl to the return and a Maggie muffler on the drain. I had to use screw in couplers on the seaswirl and return line, and it makes me wish they made Teflon tape in black to match the PVC :(

1ad7f07159294e76b7a1b1dae0643a85.jpg

b457d1bc76d5e9834f11fe4403010bf9.jpg

76c497e91232df7fc312c3cfb0465602.jpg

618516a852ce7f0ffeed3031b22b2cdf.jpg

2763ea3c2f51a8f014b3e44bda710981.jpg

As an aside, I found a place online that has inexpensive plumbing fittings. In the past, I have ordered from Savko or BRS, or bought fittings from the big box or local hardware stores. Valves, especially true union valves, and unions are hideously expensive at all the aforementioned places. I found true union valves and unions for half the price of any other place, with only $5 UPS ground shipping for all the valves and unions I needed at supplyhouse.com, if anyone else is looking for the same.

Looking great man!

Just a few tips. On the pipe tape you could wrap it not quite as far on the threads. 

For primer, you can get a clear primer that won’t color your fittings. You can also use that clear primer to get the printed barcodes and lettering off of the firings. Happy plumbing!

Looking great man!
 Just a few tips. On the pipe tape you could wrap it not quite as far on the threads. 
For primer, you can get a clear primer that won’t color your fittings. You can also use that clear primer to get the printed barcodes and lettering off of the firings. Happy plumbing!

Yes I was going to use the clear primer, as I have in the past, but, I didn’t have any on hand and have a ton of the purple stuff, so, no need to waste more money. Im just being extra careful to not get runs of the stuff on the white fittings. I’m going to cut back on the tape as suggested.

Looking good! If the Teflon bothers you showing then you can take a razor blade and cut it out of the remaining threads that shows. We do this nowadays, so the white tape isn't seen on these nice shower heads customers are using. 

• Like 1

Looking good! If the Teflon bothers you showing then you can take a razor blade and cut it out of the remaining threads that shows. We do this nowadays, so the white tape isn't seen on these nice shower heads customers are using. 

Thanks, Mike. I’ll do that!

Finished up plumbing today, by building a reactor manifold. I then got my UV sterilizer all cleaned up of calcium deposits, and replaced the bulb. I mounted it to the stand near the manifold.
e3bcfab1f174a7cb84e24c280b350c79.jpg

Looks good Kirk. Also they have a dark gray tape for the future. It's not black but closer. 

I know the cardboard box ends are still on the sump to keep from scratching it while working on stuff  but damn man you killing me! Lmao :P

Squirrel!!!!! Haha

Looking good! I ordered a new bulb for my UV and plan on cleaning the quartz sleeve when I change it out.. I have not opened it in months, so not sure how bad it's going to be...