kirk_m

Kirk’s 350-ish build

69 posts in this topic

I know the cardboard box ends are still on the sump to keep from scratching it while working on stuff  but damn man you killing me! Lmao [emoji14]
Squirrel!!!!! Haha
Looking good! I ordered a new bulb for my UV and plan on cleaning the quartz sleeve when I change it out.. I have not opened it in months, so not sure how bad it's going to be... 

Yeah, I had to soak mine in muriatic acid and water for a few HOURS the calcium was so thick.

I left the cardboard on since it makes sliding the sump in and out easier (and keeps me from scratching up both the stand and the sump) while I am working down there in the stand on the plumbing. Now that it’s done, I’ll remove it.

Got the ATI Sunpower mounted to the ceiling today. Unlike @Reef Tank Greg, I didn’t opt to give myself additional attic ventilation by putting my foot through the ceiling, lol :)

I had to screw one side into a joist directly because it was right where I needed to put the right side’s mount. I didn’t want to go that route, as I really wanted to mount it to a 2x4 straddling two joists, which is what I did on the left side. I guess it will all still hold, since I used a 3.5” deck screw to affix it to the joist.
IMG_6106.JPG

Edited by kirk_m
  • Like 3

RODI unit...check...booster pump...check...160 gallon reservoir...check...TDS meter...check. Water making is underway!

• Like 1

Coming together nicely. Have you gotten your rock yet? What type of scape are going to go with this time?

130 gallons made so far.  Also, I put all the sand in the tank.  I haven't gotten any rock yet.  Pukani is still out of stock (dry) everywhere.  I might just have to settle on using some dried up rock I have sitting around just to get things cycled.  

Finally got my hands on some Pukani. Damn it’s filthy. I tried some of the jumbo pieces in for size:

IMG_6155.JPG

So, I got the tank completely filled today, and fired up the pumps. Things looked good until I noticed I was leaking around the bulkheads. I went in and tightened them more, but the dripping from the drain and return bulkhead wouldn’t stop. Mind you, these are brand new bulkheads I bought, with new gaskets. I had to buy them, you see, because effing Planet Aquarium doesn’t seem to think that a $5000+ “Reef-ready” tank should include such trifles.
Anyway, I drained the overflows and undid the bulkheads. Of course, since things are all glued now, I can’t lift the bulkheads up very much to check things, but, when I did, I found the problems.
censoreding Planet Aquarium’s QC absolutely blows. Their “master builders” have silicone smears all over around the bulkhead holes! They use this BAD WORDty PVC hybrid bottom that is several different layers thick, each of different composition. Each is bonded to the other with silicone. They cut out a large recess for the flange of the bulkhead in the topmost layer so that it will sit flush against another, lower layer. The gasket sits agains this lower layer. Well, when they cut the recess out, they left silicon from the bonding of the two layers all around the hole. No chance of getting a seal, and, now, I can’t clean it off due to no room in this recess to manipulate a razor blade to clean it off. So, now I will have to cut my plumbing in order to remove the bulkheads and clean the area. censored you, Planet Aquarium.

By the hardest, I got he excess silicone out without having to cut the plumbing. I had my wife sit inside the stand and lift the bulkheads up as far as they could go after I unscrewed them. While she was holding them up, I was precariously standing on a ladder, with my arm barely long enough to reach the bottom of the overflow (thank God I didn’t go with a center overflow, as I would have had to drain the tank some and get into it to access that!), and my face periodically touching the water, to use the ONLY tool that would fit into the recess around the bulkheads — a Nickel! That’s right, Thomas Jefferson scraped away the silicone, by the hardest. It took a damned hour to do thanks to poor access, unsafe ladder use, and, middle aged bones/muscles aching. Happy to say now that I have no leaks on the return or the drain!

• Like 1

On 5/19/2018 at 5:46 PM, kirk_m said:

I had my wife sit inside the stand and lift the bulkheads up as far as they could go after I unscrewed them. While she was holding them up, I was precariously standing on a ladder,......

You must have gave your kids a nice chunk of change for a mother's day present. Glad you got it fixed without cutting the PVC.

It's a diatom covered mess.      All my fish are in the tank now.  I lost a few prior to the transfer, but, almost all of the 13 year old ones made it.

I have a few softies that survived the holding tanks, but, they seem to be bleaching in the new tank.  I also now have aiptasia that somehow made it in on the tiny bits of rock I chipped these corals off with.   I am waiting on some more batteries for the laser to kill off the ones I can see, and will just toss the corals that I can't get off the rocks.

The skimmer smells REALLY bad with this new tank -- my entire house smells when the cup gets about 1/2 filled.  I can't figure out why it's so bad, but, it's pretty awful ... to the point I nearly retch when going to dump the skimmer cup.   Also, the tank has been cloudy since day one.  Even with a UV sterilizer.   I have had to resort to using filter socks, which are things I truly loathe, and they clog up in about 2 days.  The water clarity has improved somewhat.

If I had had all this happen with my first saltwater tank 16 years ago, I would have quit and gone back to freshwater.   Sorry for all the negativity, but, it's kind of had to accept all of the losses, and, the difficulties I have had with the new setup, given that I have had multiple tanks (2-400 gallons) over the years, all highly successful, and when I get to my final upgrade, I can barely even keep softies happy.

I believe in you Kirk. You will have that thing turned around in no time and you will probably have to start charging people to get in your front door to see it.

The stink maybe from the rock. Perhaps didn't get everything when you cleaned it. What sand did you go with?

Kirk - my tank was cloudy for months. I tried many things, including a massive water change, and a UV and that did not do the trick. The only thing that worked that I could find was a diatom filter. After using the diatom filter religiously for a week or two, my water was very clear for quite a while. It has become cloudy again though. I ran the diatom filter for a few days but not long enough to clean it up. I am hoping if I leave it alone, it will eventually subside after it consumes whatever nutrients it is living on, but if it doesn't clear up in the next few months I will go back to work with the diatom filter.

So after weeks of using the diatom filter, the tank is looking better. Still have more to go to get it crystal clear. At first, the filter would only run about 15 minutes before it clogged up. Now it runs for days.

kqpCQ3Jl.jpg
vbLXxBMl.jpg

Sorry to hear about all your troubles. I am sure it will turn around for you soon.

I will say that I believe that my troubles began when battling uronema. I wiped that out with chloroquine phosphate. But I also think it killed the algae that was living in the tank. Which put nutrients in the tank. So a bacterial or other bloom occurred, which I could not get rid of except by the diatom filter. I had another outbreak of uronema a short while ago, and repeated the whole mess, though to a lesser extent this time..

Edited by 110reef