kirk_m

Kirk’s 350-ish build

69 posts in this topic

The stink maybe from the rock. Perhaps didn't get everything when you cleaned it. What sand did you go with?

I used Marcorock’s dry sand. The packaging states it needs to be rinsed, which I did, but maybe I didn’t do enough. It certainly looked like a fine dust/particulates flying around in the tank.

After 2 weeks of 100 and 200 micron filter sock use, I’ve gotten it nearly clear.

Dang Kirk, so happy to see that you got the tank up and running but hate that you're having all the problems.  

Keep trucking, it'll get better, as you know.

• Like 1

Thanks for the encouragement, Will.  It'll be a slow going, for sure.  

I have 600 small hermits in it.  Don't know if they're doing much.  A few snails, lazy bastards, that don't clean the glass too well.

I added a few frags last weekend...we'll see how they fare.

I'm right there with ya man.  My rocks and sand have this yucky brown algae/film on them right now, that just gets thicker by the day.  I know I gotta deal with it for a while.  :|  Before we know it the tank will settle in.  

Looking forward to seeing my first patch of coraline :P

21 hours ago, ericd000 said:

I'm right there with ya man.  My rocks and sand have this yucky brown algae/film on them right now, that just gets thicker by the day.  I know I gotta deal with it for a while.  :|  Before we know it the tank will settle in.  

Looking forward to seeing my first patch of coraline :P

This is so good! Two of our master Jedi are starting all over and going thru the Uglies! I love hearing how things are moving along in the new tank(s)!  

@Kirk the last batch of snails and hermits I ordered all came in as dead beats... they stayed alive for a few weeks I guess and then they were less abundant... It's weird how they all seem to die in one spot cause I swear I have 100's of small hermit shells in one spot of my tank... And they the ones the pink spotted goby didnt find... 

@ERIC you know you have to buy some Coralline in a bottle in order to get it in your tank! Lmao.  Yeah I almost bought some back when I was a young Padawan! 

Time for an update. First, a big thank you to Aaron, Dawn & Randi, and Brandon for giving me some frags of the corals I lost over the year in the holding vat. It’ll take years for them to get that size again, but, it’s a great start. I had a few survivors, and, have added a few other corals here and there over the last few months.

56efd3619877056ebbf070fc981bf7d9.jpg
c4e318eb136c6c534dec77214f23a2f3.jpg
bac3a89857bbdafa50abb60548ec368e.jpg
6147e5a0a5b0b68c6d54ed112312a827.jpg

• Like 1

IMG_6815.JPG
IMG_6816.JPG
IMG_6817.JPG
IMG_6818.JPG
IMG_6819.JPG
IMG_6821.JPG
IMG_6822.JPG
IMG_6824.JPG
IMG_6825.JPG
IMG_6826.JPG

Glad to get back to stocking, and, glad there is still a forum to use. I really don’t like to use the BRK Facebook page, as it’s nothing more than a selling
Forum.

• Like 1

Nice to see your tank coming to life.

Also looking for the same from Eric.

Saweet!!! 

Dammit I'm with you on the FB crap! I just spent 15mins looking for your post last week about some corals... Lol. Did you ever find any ORA Mint Pavona? I have some and wouldn't mind breaking you off a chunk one day. 

It's right above the wrasses head in the pic...

20180823_185155.jpg

Mike,

No, I haven't found a mint pavona yet.  I am also still looking for a green cap with purple rim, orange cap (especially if it's one of those WWC hybrid types with the green swirls in it), and purple cap.

7 minutes ago, kirk_m said:

Mike,

No, I haven't found a mint pavona yet.  I am also still looking for a green cap with purple rim, orange cap (especially if it's one of those WWC hybrid types with the green swirls in it), and purple cap.

Well anything in my tank you are more than welcome to... I have the Pavona, spongode (it's almost a nuisance coral...), purple cap, red cap, and I have some of that grafted red w/ green swirl cap as well.. You can see it in the pic above as well. @lars and myself grabbed some I forget when from same vendor and his has a lot more of the green swirly bad a** look to it than mine... Mine is noticeabley growing, but just doesn't have much of the green in it.... :angry:  I'll take the bone cutters to any of them for you man!!! However, I do have an abundance of aiptasia in my tank at the moment... Any corals of mine would be like playing with fire.... :smiley-scared008:

I've got aiptasia spreading like wildfire too, so, machts nichts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've got aiptasia spreading like wildfire too, so, machts nichts.

I would like to get some of the Monti if you ever frag any. Thanks

Nice to see you getting stuff back Kirk. I just a frag of pearlberry in on Friday that I think you maybe interested in later down the road. 

On 9/11/2018 at 1:52 PM, Checkitout said:

Nice to see you getting stuff back Kirk. I just a frag of pearlberry in on Friday that I think you maybe interested in later down the road. 

Damned straight I could go some pearlberry, lol...  let me know when it's all healed up and ready.