Sign in to follow this  
Hail_Kat_Reef

Ich hair algea and cyano

2 posts in this topic

Tank: 72x30x20 187 gallons
Sump: 30.5x14x16 29.5 gallons
Refugium: 36x18x17 47.6 gallons

I really need your help you guys I've been battling with the ich monster for sometime now in the matter of 3 months I have lost a total of 19 fish due to ich. If my calculations are right lost over a grand worth of fish which isn't to my liking, I only have a total 7 fish in my tank at the moment that are doing fine and survived every ich out break I have had. On top of losing the battle to ich I am now fighting with a serious hair algea and cyano takeover. My nitrates are at 2.5ppm and phosphates are at 0.1ppm as we speak, I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to reinstall my zeovit reactor and run zeovit again which I had success with in the past or either trying out the aquaforest uln system to deal with the algea problem but I just don't know what to do about this ich situation as I only have 7 fish left which my once beautiful blueface angel doesn't look like he's going to make. Could you guys please help me out with this.

I caught a bad case of either ich or marine velvet in my 150g a few yrs back. Same as you I had a total of 19 fish. One fish would get sick and die within days and another would be right behind it. It was a vicious cycle. I ended up catching the remaining fish and putting them in qt tanks, so I could treat, feed, and observe. I ended up losing 14/15 fish before I could get things turned around. This all went down so fast had I made the move earlier I may have saved a few. Sucks.. 

Anywho, I let my tank run fallow with no fish in it for three months. In that time my clams, anemones, and corals all did outstanding. I did ghost feed the tank lightly every week to keep corals and clean up crew healthy. Once the 90 days was up, I slowly added the qt'd fish back to the system very slowly as if the tank was just starting out. 

Maybe u could try the same? It's hard to catch fish (sick ones for that matter) in a stocked reef tank. Easiest way I've found is to drain the tank into any large containers I could muster up that were clean. Catch fish off sanded and then pump water back in. Caught my fish outta a 150g in 30 mins. Corals, clams, nems were all fine... When the tank is fishless(fallow) then you can work on getting rid of the nuisance algae. Of course finding out what's causing it to take hold is the first step in eradicating it...