Checkitout

What would you do?

I ordered some new salt a few weeks ago and when it was suppose to arrive it was signed by someone else not in my office. I called the company I order the salt from and they said that its not a big deal and that they will send out a new box to me. Well I got a call today from the office in the front of my office complex that I work at saying they have had the salt for a weeks now and that its their for pick up. I go and get the box from them and noticed it was opened, the box I'm referring too. In the box was the packing slip that had my address on it, so I get why they opened the box, however the bag that the salt was in was upside down. I flipped it up and it does not appear that anything has been messed with. I called the company I ordered it from and they said just to keep it. What would you do with the salt? 

Edited by Checkitout

The company probably won’t accept the return of you ship it back.
Keep it, use it if you feel comfortable that it hasn’t been tampered with.

I had a similar issue a few weeks ago.  When my normal delivery of salt arrived, one was in a Lowe's box.  Apparently the box had been dropped or fallen off of a conveyor belt in transit, and the bag ripped.  There was a 5" gash in one side, and they just wrapped the bag of salt in a cheap garbage bag, then put it in a Lowe's box and sent it on.  I have no idea if any of that salt that touched the floor got back into the hole bag or what, so I just tossed the whole box.  Not worth risking my tanks or my customer tanks over one box of salt.  If it hadn't been ripped, I would've inspected it for puncture marks and possibly have used it.  Did your bag have any holes or gashes?

On 12/30/2018 at 8:49 AM, Checkitout said:

Nope, the bag was still good as new when I got it. 

If the bag was in perfect condition with no puncture holes, I'd use it.  Sometimes those boxes just fall apart due to the salt being very heavy and it beats the box to death during shipping.