Reef Tank Greg

Forums vs Social Media

7 posts in this topic

Many still like forums and wish they were the prominent way we communicate. Here's some good reasons for forums vs social media, courtesy of our forum software vendor:

This month, the team have been discussing the role of forums in the social media age.

Aside from owning your data completely, the main advantage to building your community on your own platform is allowing your members to be relatively anonymous.

With social media, it only takes a few clicks to discover more. It's easy to look at your political leanings, which area you live in, what your favorite films are and so on.

All that information comes with you when you join a community on Facebook whether you like it or not.

With a forum, you can create your own personality unique for that forum. You don't need to reveal your real name, or photo.

You put privacy back in the hands of your members.

We really like that.

Awesome thread, I was just discussing this with another member the other day when i met up with him for a coral swap. I see the facebook as a way for people to get quick help with an issue such as a tank failure or a heater failure. To me the fb seems to be 90% a marketplace.

I am totally not a fan of how the information is presented and the lack of control we have over what is posted.  

I for one do not tend to scroll more than a couple of screens when I have time to look at it, so I miss most of the discussion.  There is no way to easily get back to what you were reading if you leave it.  

Not to mention the personal information creep that goes with it. 

Did I really need to know that 'CuttleKissed43' is really a 77 year old grandfather, with 34 grand kids who likes BBQ and overly hoppy beer?

*Just an example, don't believe we have any such member here*

I have found myself checking the forums more and more lately. If we want to revive them, then it would take a consistent effort by as many people as possible to post routinely. That's what we did when we initially started these forums. 

I still like the forums. However, I have reached a point where my tank is relatively in autopilot. I spend next to nothing on it except food or if some issue arises. I find that most of the posts are selling posts, either tanks being shut down, or someone selling equipment or livestock. Since I am not much in the market, I don't really look at those threads. Since Photobucket messed with everyone, I also find it to be a pain to post pictures, so I don't do that either. Additionally, I have been in the hobby for 44 years now, and there aren't many situations that I have questions about anymore. So my presence here is much reduced.

That being said, I'd rather look at the Forum than the Facebook page.