Freddie

New Member First Time Reef Keeper

7 posts in this topic

I'm Freddie from Gonzales, LA. I just got out of the Marines after 12 years and moved back home to LA. My father recently gave me one of his tanks and equipment to start up at my house. Its a 36 Gal bow front. I will be putting in live black sand today as well as the dry rock and a live rock to get priming. What are some things you wish someone would have told you when you first got into the hobby? Looking forward to being a member. Thanks!

Welcome to Bayou Reefkeeping Freddie!

Let's see some pics!

As for your question, I'd have to say, I wish someone would have warned me how addictive the hobby is.  :)

:aflag8sm::welcomeconfetti: Welcome to BRK!  Looking forward to seeing the new setup.  I wish someone would have told me that some of the people I've met would become great friends for life.  I would've started reefing sooner.  Haha, but really one thing I wish I would have been told was to do more research on fish and livestock before putting them in my tank.  Don't rely on the local fish store owner or worker to tell you everything you need to know.

Very happy to have you here! There are a few Marines in the group by the way. 

I wish someone had told me to buy the best possible equioment and not try to take shortcuts with inexpensive stuff. 

Welcome!  And thank you for your service.

...I wish someone would have told me how much money I would spend over my lifetime in the hobby (16 years so far)...I would have socked it all into buying Google and Apple stock back in 2002 instead, and I'd be retired by now :)

Sweet!  I haven't used actual live rock since my very first saltwater tank back in 2010.  I typically buy the dry reef savor rock or pukani rock from bulk reef supply.  I like the rock, but cycling a tank with it sucks. That live rock should help you with your tank cycle.