Sign in to follow this  
T_BONE

Velvet?

8 posts in this topic

Woke this morning to this! My 125 has been stable and running for about 2 years now. I mysteriously lost my lawnmower blenny three days ago, flame angel yesterday and this morning this is what I found. Any ideas? My Niger Trigger, three chromis , spot tail and one clown look fine. My black clown has a slight “haze” on him and all fish are eating like normal and acting like normal except this guy! Nothing has changed in the tank. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. 

70D303F1-CC3F-49B6-9C45-9EC4C784C9AD.jpeg

Edited by T_BONE
Misspellings

Maybe Uronema. Choroquine Phosphate will kill it. But, not reef-safe. For more information search "Chloroquine Phosphate reef"

I have used it several times. It cured some fish that I thought were lost causes. One butterfly I thought was dead, but has recovered fully due to CP. Uronema has been a recent issue at least for me. Never heard of it or saw it in my previous 43 years of keeping marine fish, but I have had it 2-3 times in the past year or two.

Edited by 110reef

Thanks for the reply. I have looked into this a bit since I posted it. I also came up with Uronema and Brooklynela. My black clown has since recovered and no longer shows signs of it. My plans are to go fallow for bout 80 days and treat the fish with antibiotics in QT tank. If they show signs of any issues then I will treat as needed. Seems about the only “safe” way to handle this. This happened bout 6-8 months ago too. Lost a potters angel with same signs. It was pretty upsetting and the black clown showed the same signs as he is now.  Any thoughts on my coarse of action? 

Hopefully that will knock it out.

Good luck!

Brook is pretty common with clowns unfortunately. Uronema also seems to be common these days. Quarantine new fish is a good way to go, especially if you have a reef tank.

Mine is a 120g mixed reef tank. Mostly soft coral as I’m still figuring things out with the hobby. I think going fallow for 80 days and QT observation/treatment is my best option to ensure that all parasites are killed off and fish are disease free upon placement back to my DT. I know all the surviving fish were exposed to what killed the other fish so I think treatment is a definite. Maybe a formalin bath or dip prior to placement into sterile QT. Prazi and/or some other antibiotics. Opinions? 

BTW, thanks 110reef for your input. Much appreciated. 

• Like 1

Prazi will take care of flukes. Choroquine Phosphate will take care of uronema, brook, ick. Copper is another alternative, but I have used copper on uronema and it was ineffective where CP was effective.

Not sure that antibiotics will help unless the disease is bacterial, which brook, velvet, ich and uronema are not (they are caused by protozoans).

Going fallow works for ich. I am not sure how it will work for brook or uronema

Edited by 110reef

Sorry it took so long to get back. I have tried to source Chlorinique Phosphate with no luck. Local vets are very reluctant to just write a script for things these days. Even with the documentation about the diseases it treats and pics. Any idea where I can get my hands on some? I have read that a few folks on other forums have had crappy results from overseas suppliers and eBay sellers with CP