Good morning! I purchased my first bio cube tank yesterday. I put in the sand and water and it has been about 12 hours and it is still extremely cloudy. Is this normal? I used accurasea nsw and caribsea live aragonite reef sand. How long can I expect the tank to be cloudy? 

Thanks in advance and thanks for creating this community of support.

Bennett from Baton Rouge 

Welcome!

It is normal for it to remain cloudy for a while.  I want to say the longest I've experienced was a couple of days.

Most bagged sand that I've used includes a small packet of liquid that is supposed drop out the floating particulates that cloud the water.  It has been a while since I looked at a BioCube, but it may be possible to use some filter floss/pad in the back chamber to catch the floating stuff clouding the water to help clear it up.  

That's pretty darn cloudy.  Doesn't look like any rock in there yet.  Did you already add bacteria?

That sand looks to be pretty fine, maybe Oolite (0.5-1.0mm in size).  That will cloud the water for a while if you don't filter it out.  It will also cloud up some whenever you disturb the sand, like when cleaning the tank.  

Generally for a system that's supposed to be ready for fish in 48 hours you'd need to add some bacteria to boost the nitrogen cycle, along with some cured live rock for the bacteria to colonize.  

Yea we put a pool filter sock on the filter to clear it up... it worked!

we just put two pieces of live rock today and we ordered dry rock that will come in Friday to finish the aqua scape... 

went ahead and put 2 clowns and some hermits and snails in there bc I need something to look at.

so we should wait about 3-4 weeks before we start adding coral? 

Im going to bring a water sample in to get tested next week.

anything else I am missing?

all comments welcome please!!

282BE34C-61B9-43C7-AD76-E336A9D49EDE.jpeg

Glad you got the particulates from the sand cleared up.  

You should probably wait on the coral until your water chemistry has settled. 

If you don't have a test kit already, you should get one.  The strips also work for quick tests.  You will need to get your rock into the tank sooner rather than later, as that has a large impact on the processing and breakdown of waste and toxic ammonia & nitrites from food and fish poo.  Without that, and the bacteria that needs to inhabit the rock, the tank will become too toxic to your livestock.  Did whoever you purchased the tank from sell you starter bacteria for the system?  

Once the ammonia and nitrite are non-existent, and the nitrates are in range (30 ppm  or less I would say for a new tank,) then you can start thinking about some starter corals.  Leathers, and zoanthids to start.  Stony corals will require a bit more attention to the tank stability to do well in a small tank.  

How are clowns and hermits doing so far?  

Congrats on your first tank!  As Eric stated above I wouldn't rush into getting your first corals just yet.  The tank will need more time to settle and parameters to even out.  Even if your testing show the "cycle" is over, you'll likely have a cyano outbreak which could kill any corals you have in there if not taken care of in time.  It's all part of the process.