110reef

Flux RX versus Green Hair Algae

I have been battling green hair algae in my 13 gallon tank for a long time now. After seeing the video from Marine Depot on Flux RX, I decided to give it a try.

I will document progress each day in this thread.

I dosed 3 small scoops (0.15 cc each) of Flux RX on day 0. The directions say if using the large scoop then it should be level, but the small scoop should be rounded. So this is somewhat confusing. Also, there was no large scoop in my box, only the small one. Each small scoopful should treat 5 gallons, so I used 3 level scoops to treat my 13 gallon tank. Treatment should take up to 14 days.

My clowns will not appreciate the algae going away; they like laying in it. But the three corals that you cannot see because they are covered in algae will be very happy to get some light again.

See the source image

Day 0:

Day 0.jpg

After day 1 - no noticeable change. (except I have a lot of baby snails!)

Day 1.jpg

Edited by 110reef

@110reef, I haven’t used flux rx brand, but I have used the reef flux brand before in a client tank that didn’t respond to other treatments.  It worked quite well, but it didn’t appear to do anything until almost the 2 week mark.  Keep us updated on the progress of this product, it may work slightly differently. 

• Like 1

I have heard that it takes the full 14 days to be effective. We shall see!

In my large tank, I battled bryopsis for years before I finally tried Tech M and it magically went away in a few days. I am hoping for similar results here.

• Like 1

Day 3: The algae looks to be thinner in some places, more stringy and lighter in color. Also some clumps seem to have separated from the main clumps and are circulating around the tank. I had to clean the filter because it seemed to be clogged, and there were clumps of algae in the filter. That being said, there is still plenty of healthy looking algae in the tank. But it looks like there might be a subtle change taking place and it is somewhat promising at this point.

IMG_1787[1].JPG

Edited by 110reef

Day 4: No real progress that I can see. Noticed it looks like my colony of zoas on the right have mysteriously moved a little...Also noticed that the large clown is always to the left of the small clown.

IMG_1788[1].JPG

Edited by 110reef

Not sure if anyone is watching this thread. Kinda quiet out there...

Day 5: Not sure if there is anything going on or not. Hard to tell.

IMG_1790[1].JPG

20 hours ago, T.os aquariums said:

I'm on day 5 and I have a change but I'm pretty sure it's my snails

I'm glad SOMEONE is watching this thread! My snails have been overwhelmed for a while now!

Day 9: Still no visible change...

I took a picture, but it seems to have gone MIA in my phone. I'll get another today.

Day 11: I have given up on this dosage, I added a new dose of 3 scoops. Will see if that produces any result.

Note: the zoas have moved again!

IMG_1849[1].JPG

Edited by 110reef

Day 14 / Day 3 after second dosing:

Algae seems to be less green and darker in color over the past two days than before.

IMG_1854[1].JPG

Edited by 110reef

Day 15/ Day 4 after 2nd dose:

the algae is looking thinner. I can actually see two of the three corals that were completely overwhelmed by the algae. One looks good, the other is definitely worse for wear after being hidden for so long. Wonder how the third coral is doing-still can’t see it.

I believe the algae is dying. There is cyano popping up all over on the algae, probably feeding on the dying algae. I added some chemiclean to take care of the cyano. 

I am pleased at the moment because it looks like progress is being made. Hope it continues.

087F3A63-36AA-4B3F-9EF7-461DAA521887.jpeg

Day 16 / Day 5 after second dosing:

Algae continues to get thinner! Yay!

See the green coral in the center near the top? Haven't seen that coral for weeks...

IMG_1857[1].JPG

Edited by 110reef

Day 17 / Day 6 after second dosing: Continuing to improve.

IMG_1861[1].JPG

For comparison: Day 1

Day 1.jpg

Edited by 110reef

Day 18 / Day 7 after second dosing: Almost there. I can see my third hidden coral again!

IMG_1862[1].JPG

Day 19 / Day 8 after second dosing: Algae 95% gone! One of the corals that was covered by the algae (located atop the highest rock, not seen in the picture) is sloughing off flesh. Hopefully it will stop. It was the most covered of any of the corals, and maybe the sudden change in light has affected it. You can now see my other little group of zoas directly below the clownfish' tail. They look a little worse for wear due to being choked out by the algae, but I think they'll be fine.

IMG_1867[1].JPG

Edited by 110reef

Just be ready to do a series of good cleanings and water changes a few days apart once its gone.  Ive used reef flux to battle algae in my 13.5 and it worked, but all that dying algae will spike nutrients.  once u scrub that stuff from the water with carbon etc, it will come back with a vengeance without the nutrient issue under control.

• Like 1