Reef Tank Greg

June 23 Event - Hammond Area!

32 members have voted

1. 1. Are you attending?

• Yes
    • Yes and bringing one person with me.
    • Yes and bringing two people with me.
    • Yes and bringing three or more people with me.
    • Maybe - explain in topic.
    • Unable to make this one, see you at the next one!

111 posts in this topic

June 23, 2012 @ Noon. Hosted by Rob (robharold). He will be unveiling his custom DIY 350 gallon plywood tank and DIY tank room!

Event Time:

12pm to 4pm

Event Location:

24389 Marie Court

Loranger, LA 70446

Relevant Topics:

Directions: Take I-12 to exit 47. Go north. Go through the stop light at 6 miles and Marie Court is on the right. 5th house on the left. If you see HWY 40, then you went too far.

We have been working on this one for a while. Longer than any other event we have put together. You may be reading that and saying "this can't be serious, can it?" Well, yes, it is. Sort of......

Rob (robharold) will be hosting our next event at his home in Loranger, LA, which is just to the northeast of Hammond. So what's with the comment about working on this one for a while, you ask? Well, he has been working on a new tank DIY project for the past couple of years. He enclosed his carport and insulated it to create a new tank room. As if that wasn't enough to just move his existing tank in there, noooooo, Rob had bigger plans.

He has been building a 350 gallon plywood tank in his spare time for the past couple of years. He and I have discussed in the past that once it was ready, we should have an event there. Well, guess what rolled across my screen early this past week:

juneevent.png

You read that right!!! The Plywood Beast is being unveiled for all of us on Saturday, June 23rd!!!!!! This is a DIY build that many of us have been following for years and are dying to see come to fruition. Well now we all get that chance!!!

We'll have plenty more information about this event soon. In the meantime, you can check out some of his DIY progress in the following topic:

Guess the cat's out the bag now as to what he meant back on May 9th when he said in post 65 of that topic that "I have an ulterior motive to finish this thing now as well." -- Time to finish it up for the Bayou Reefkeeping event! :partydance:

Edited by Greg

Yes I am planning to unveil the beast at the event. It will be operational, but not likely fully complete. I am looking very much forward to seeing everyone here. We will work out the exact time when things get just a bit closer.

• Like 1

I can't wait to see this tank. I may have to bring the wife to this one because just yesterday I was trying to talk her into letting me enclose our carport. But, damn, these events need to start happening on my off weekends :D

Sorry to say we will not be able to make this one.:( Will be at Disney World. But looking forward to see some pics afterwards. Sound like it will be a time

WHOOP WHOOP...I will finally be able to make another meet...That is if the wife doesn't have anything else planned for us already.

WHOOP WHOOP...I will finally be able to make another meet...That is if the wife doesn't have anything else planned for us already.

Drag her butt there :)

It enough time for u to schedule the day first!!!!

• Like 1

You may have a hard time keeping JT off your slip-n-slide, Rob.

As long as he waits his turn and does not trample the kids I am fine with that.

After dislocating a shoulder playing recreational sports a few years ago, I am not going anywhere near said slip-n-slide.

After dislocating a shoulder playing recreational sports a few years ago, I am not going anywhere near said slip-n-slide.

That would have made for some great pics for the portal. I should make this one. I have alot of unanswered question about plywood tanks. Be ready for a lot of questions rob.

Man, I wish this was on a Sunday! I would absolutely love to see this set up!! I love the dedication it takes to make a project of this size actually happen. You deserve massive amounts of respect for keeping the end goal in mind and managing to finish such a huge build!

Man, I wish this was on a Sunday! I would absolutely love to see this set up!! I love the dedication it takes to make a project of this size actually happen. You deserve massive amounts of respect for keeping the end goal in mind and managing to finish such a huge build!

Well, it has taken forever to get to this point. I have had money issues all the way along.

I should make this one. I have alot of unanswered question about plywood tanks. Be ready for a lot of questions rob.

I will be ready to answer any and all.

Will we need to bring a food???

ONLY if you want to. Probably should do a thread for that too. I will be cooking something but have not decided what yet. Maybe a jambalaya or fire up the bbq pit.