stoned

Stoned's 210 Upgrade

531 posts in this topic

Decided to upgrade to 6 footer. Sold my 120 gal before Christmas. I have everything in a rubbermaid tub. Losing a lot of large coral colonies and lost 3 fish. Plans are for a steel stand, diy led lighting, recir skimmer, 75 gal sump running GFO and bio pellets. Also using filter socks and a refugium. I will be using my 6105 tunze's for circulation. I will be adding 2 more running a total of 4 on a 7096 controller. Will be posting pics as soon as possible.

Edited by stoned

Did you get a tank yet after the DSA fiasco? I'm not so sure you want to be running both GFO and Biopellets at the same time though, according to the probiotics lecture we had yesterday at the Anniversary Meet.

Edited by kirk_m

Did you get a tank yet after the DSA fiasco? I'm not so sure you want to be running both GFO and Biopellets at the same time though, according to the probiotics lecture we had yesterday at the Anniversary Meet.

I do know I don't want a DSA tank, over flow is too big, I want the smallest over flow I could get away.

Since I could not make the meet, could you go into more detail as to why it is not a good idea to run gfo and pellets.

Since I'm going with a steel stand, I know the cuts needs to be close to perfect. Due to you don't want any gaps to fill when welding and it needs to be the same height all the way around so the tank does not rock on the stand. So I had to make a jig to help with the cuts. Here are some pics.

20120823_144903.jpg

20120823_173533.jpg

• Like 1

Then it's time to weld everything together. First had to level the bottom and go from there.

20120914_143135.jpg

20120914_154404.jpg

20120914_155637.jpg

Joe, you do your own welding? Interested in building something for me?

Nah, don't have time between this upgrade and all other stuff.

Man when I saw your stand fabbed up like 4 months ago I figured you would have a wet waterbox by now. Did you get the stand powdercoated?

Nah, don't have time between this upgrade and all other stuff.

No worries... figured it couldn't hurt to ask!

Man when I saw your stand fabbed up like 4 months ago I figured you would have a wet waterbox by now. Did you get the stand powdercoated?

At the time work slowed down big time. So I sprayed it myself. Yes just getting around to uploading my pics from my phone and start a build thread.

You stick welded that! Props. I can mig and tig, but stick owns me!

I can stick pretty good. I guess you can call me a third class tacker. LOL

The whole idea of this upgrade was the 120 gal I had was stuffed with corals. Mostly SPS which was grown from 1 inch frags from local reefers. To make a long story short, just about all SPS corals are dead. I think maybe I have 2 left. Those might be gone to waiting for the new tank to cycle. Plan on using all the live rock from the previous tank.

Went to coral connection, picked up a 210 gal Aqeon tank. George makes a small overflow box with an external durso. He also put together a 75 gal sump as well. George does some excellent fab work for sumps.

Here's some updated pictures of putting the tank on the stand.

20130224_171453_zps4d2e7fa4.jpg

20130224_171611_zpsdecbb549.jpg

Nice work, Joe. I didn't even know George was still selling anything aquarium related. Just wondering, why are you waiting to cycle the tank if you are putting your existing, already cured rock in? It's already cycled. No different than when you transferred everything from your 120 into the "tub o' death" except the tank is glass. You're not waiting on your sandbed to mature. Just transfer it, man, and get it out of that possibly contaminated tub you borrowed from the other guy.

Edited by kirk_m

Added sand to the tank. Six bags of tropic eden reef flakes made a 2 inch deep sandbed. I gotta do scaping before tank is full. Don't have a snorkel and mask. LOL

20130226_191320_zps56cc7cfe.jpg

Edited by stoned

I am glad to see this thing moving forward. I was sad to hear about your corals from Kirk. Let me know if you need help with anything.

Edited by kveille

I am glad to see this thing moving forward. I was sad to hear about your corals from Kirk. Let me know if you need help with anything.

Thanks Kevin, nice to know.

Looks good do far, I like the dimensions of that tank.

Thanks, 29 inches deep. I need to place rock and corals 1 time. I hate getting saltwater in my mouth.

:rollingyellow:

I want my next tank to be 29-30" deep, I just love the way they look but am not looking worward to having to do snything in there.

I want my next tank to be 29-30" deep, I just love the way they look but am not looking worward to having to do snything in there.

Trust me it's a pain. Especially if it is BB and you have to reach that extra 1-2 inches

Might not be a big problem for you, though, Will, since you're such a tall guy.