ericd000

And it continues... 300DD In-wall Build

365 posts in this topic

Well, as some of you know I had been looking to do a 6 foot 300+ gallon tank in-wall setup in my house.  I had originally planned to hold off on getting the tank until I got a whole house generator installed.  Well, with Slick selling his setup, I figured I would see how much he wanted.  Well he never got back to me, but I found out that John @ AquaHut had bought pretty much his entire remaining setup (minus lights and vortechs that were already sold).  John only really wanted the massive sump from the setup, so he sold me the tanks, stand, skimmer, and a bunch of the remaining items for what I consider a steal.  I don't have a full list of what I bought yet, but I know the following:

300G Marineland Deep Dimension tank 72x36x27

Steel stand with detachable riser (so the stand can fit through a standard door but still have the stand at 42")

Reef Octopus XPS 5000 external cone skimmer with Avast Swabbie, and 5 gallon skimmate locker

2x 65 gallon water containers

2x 1000 watt heaters

2 smaller square tanks used as frag system

Reeflow Barracuda external pump with hight & low flow impellers.

UV sterilizer

2 Reef octopus reactors (not sure on models at this time)

Various smaller power heads for frag system

There are a few other items I know I'm missing, but will add once everything is at the house and cataloged.

I will probably end up paying a moving company to move the tank and stand for me.  I'm sure Greg remembers the time we had getting the 120 in the house with 3 of us.  This tank is 460lbs empty!  

This build will take a long time, as I still need to decide on and purchase lights, and work out a few ideas I had for the tank itself.  I'm shooting to have water in it by this time next year.. lol!

Here are a few pics of it.  Still in Johns shop for a while.  Hoping to get it moved next weekend (maybe 7/5 - 7/6)

IMG_0868.JPG?m=1372287949IMG_0869.JPG?m=1372287947IMG_0871.JPG?m=1372287949IMG_0872.JPG?m=1372287949IMG_0873.JPG?m=1372287955IMG_0874.JPG?m=1372287956IMG_0870.JPG?m=1372287945

Edited by ericd000

Sweet! I don't know slick, but what I heard was he only had that setup for a short while. Should be in great condition and I'm sure you got a steal of a deal. Can't wait to check out some progress.

Thanks everyone.  

I felt I got a great deal.  Everything I got was around what LFS usually pay for just the new glass.

There are a couple of reactors and chemicals, ect left at the shop that I couldn't fit into what I could pay.  There is a Reef Octo kalk stirrer for $100 that would be nice for someone looking to start that.  Also a couple 5 gallon buckets of BRS 2 part mix that can be had for a steal.  If I had the extra funds now I would have gotten those for sure.  Also a couple of small external pumps.  

Edited by ericd000

Congrats, Eric!  Now people will really confuse you with Larry with the same tank, LOL :)

Congrats, Eric!  Now people will really confuse you with Larry with the same tank, LOL :)

Yeah..  Didn't even consider that...

Oh well!  :P

Just got the first quote for moving the tank to my house.  Minimum of $610...  Not going to happen at anywhere near that price.  I was expecting $300 tops.  Sheesh!

DD club. That's awesome. Lol.

Hate to hear that about ur moving company effort. I moved mine on a budget truck dolly with styrofoam protecting the glass.

Me and 3 others didn't have much trouble with it from there. Mine weighed 360 dry I think. The 300dd has to weigh more.

But it's doable either way.

It weighs 460lbs dry.  Just didn't want to break anyone's back that wasn't insured... Plus I have almost a 10 degree incline to my driveway.

Gosh... That's a bummer. I woul be glad to help. But I am a long way away.

Thank God.

Lol

Eric I don't recall getting your tank in your place to be that hard. Getting it out the old place was a pain though. A few guys and some firniture dollies and we can get it done.

This is the part where you ask some locals to help in return for beer / pizza. :)

Ouch! Who gave you the moving qoute?

ETA-- I have one of these-- http://www.aaarentall.com/site.php?pageID=74&iteminfo=1&productID=194  --- at a job site I may be able to commandeer(not sure where it is exactly and have to find it) . That sob can pick up anything if you can secure a trailer. Eff paying 600 to move it a few miles.

Edited by tobias funke

Well, I had been planning to do a pizza night.  Just been so busy with work lately, the house will take some work to get it presentable. 

If JT brings the beer, I'll cook up some pizza, and we can make a Saturday afternoon-evening out of it.  Of course this weekend might be tough for some people that may be traveling for vacations.  I have no life, so nothing is happeing for me except for bills. 

Greg, you are right, it wasn't that bad getting it in the new place, with the exception of the angle of my short driveway.  John has the tank sitting on a couple big furniture dollys now, that we could probably borrow them if we return them before he closes at 7.  I'm planning to start collecting the smaller items that will fit in my car over the week and moving them to the house, so hopefully the only things left will be the tank and stand by Friday.