So I FINALLY made the move to a bigger tank. I was working with my 45G Shallow for a good minute and it treated me well. It has moved on over to the North Shore to hopefully treat it's new owner with the same results.
Picked up this 120 secondhand with an internal overflow. Within a day of having it the overflow came out since I wanted to use up as much real estate as I can.
Next thing was to take the stand and cleans things up a little.
Trim and doors removed
First attempt at an idea that went wrong with the help of a trim router that ran off and destroyed two of the panels in one quick slip... :(
The final design. My pops was nice enough to let me raid his stockpile of reclaimed cypress (again). The lumber came out of some old fire doors that were in a warehouse they demolished years ago on Tchoupitoulas St in New Orleans.
In the house finally
Instead of sealing off the holes where the internal overflow went I decided to go with a closed loop. Since the tank will require high flow, why not. I also purchased a 1/2" piece of HPDE to lay on the bottom to protect the glass.
On the stand
Next was the canopy. I decided with this build I would go with Halides, T5's and LEDs. lol, figured I couldn't go wrong, outside of frying my sticks. 2x 250w Radiums, 2x ReefBrite Supra Dual 48" T5s (Blue+/Coral+ in each fixture), 48" ReefBrite XHO, AI Prime HD for dusk/dawn viewing (all other lights are too bright when home in the afternoon = mega light spill).
Suspended from the ceiling with 100# rated cables. Anchored in the attic (not from the sheetrock).
Plumbing: First time doing a tank this size. I have to admit, I rushed it. Things came out crooked due to me not dry fitting everything first. Came out ok but I REALLY want to take it all down and redo it but it will have to do for now.
Using a SICCE SDC 9 DC pump for the closed loop that I picked up used, has different modes like the Vectra's which is nice, WIFI controlled as well. Octo Varios 6 for the return, and Tunze 6105 for the inside. Originally was going to go with MP40's but the look of them on the tank killed it for me. Still not 100% decided on which pair I will use until the tank starts to see some sticks but for now I am leaning towards the Tunzes.
Next was the scape. I used E-Marco-400 mortar to make this all happen. While slowly puting things together it never dawned on me that I was going to have to pick this up and put it in the tank verses building it IN the tank. That was a tense moment when the move happened. All kinds of things could have gone wrong, but in the end, all was good.
and the final scape
In the tank and filling her up
And how she pretty much stands today, almost 2 months wet now.
I'll post updates as times goes on. Anxious to get some SPS in there.